Pillerton Hersey, Warwickshire Family History Guide

Pillerton Hersey with Pillerton Priors is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.

Alternative names: Over Pillerton, Pillerton Hercy, Nether Pillerton, Lower Pillerton

Status: Ancient Parish

Ancient Parish: Pillerton Hersey

Ecclesiastical Parish: Pillerton Hersey with Pillerton Priors

Preferred Name: Pillerton Hersey with Pillerton Priors

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Pillerton Hersey with Pillerton Priors
    • Parish registers: 1539
    • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1611
  • Separate registers exist for Pillerton Priors
    • Parish registers: 1594
    • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1613

[su_accordion]
[su_spoiler title="Administration" open="yes" style="default" icon="plus" anchor="" class=""]

  • County: Warwickshire
  • Civil Registration District: Shipston on Stour
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Kineton
  • Poor Law Union: Shipston on Stour
  • Hundred: Kington
  • Province: Canterbury

[/su_spoiler]
[su_spoiler title="Nearby Parishes" open="no" style="default" icon="plus" anchor="" class=""]

  • Oxhill
  • Ettington
  • Walton D'Eivile
  • Combrook
  • Butlers Marston

[/su_spoiler]
[su_spoiler title="Other Places in the Parish" open="no" style="default" icon="plus" anchor="" class=""]

  • Pillerton Priors

[/su_spoiler]

[su_spoiler title="Nonconformists" open="no" style="default" icon="plus" anchor="" class=""]

  • General Baptist
  • Wesleyan Methodist.

[/su_spoiler]
[/su_accordion]

Historical Descriptions

Pillerton Hersey

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Pillerton-Hersey, a parish in Shipston-on-Stour district, Warwick; adjacent to the Fosse way, 3 miles SW of Kineton, and 7 ½ SE of Stratford-on-Avon r. station. Post-town, Kineton, under Warwick. Acres, 1,390. Real property, £1,967. Pop., 242. Houses, 52. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Pillerton-Priors, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £120. Patron, the Rev. H. Mills. The church is ancient but good, and has a low tower. There are a national school, and charities £12

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Pillerton-Hersey, 2½ miles S.W. Kineton. P. 217

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire 1830

Pillerton Hercy, or Nether, - a parish in Kington hundred, 3 miles from Kington, and 87 from London. In 1803, its parochial rates were £223 19s. at 4s. 8d. in the pound. In 1811, it contained 49 houses and 245 inhabitants. In 1821, it contained 52 houses and 268 inhabitants. In 1826, it was valued at £1719, and its proportion to the county rate was £7. 3s. 3d. It is a vicarage, value £8.

Lower Pillerton, in the Conquerer’s time, is said to have belonged to the Earl of Chester and Hugh de Grentemaisnell. “In the time of Richard II this manor was in the possession of Gilbert de Wasevill, who committing felony, his lordship was seized, and given by the king to Hugh de Hercy, whose posterity, with little interruption, from Walerun, Earl of Warwick, and Hugh de Gornai, enjoyed it many years. John de Hercy, in 35th Edward I having no issue, the manor, after his decease, came to Thomas Wandake and Alice his wife. From those Hercys, it was a long time called Pillerton Hercy, to distinguish it from the other Pillerton, called Pillerton Priors. After various other transmissions, Thomas and Margaret Throckmorton owned this manor in 1580, and held court here. From 1593, it was in possession of the Underhill family till 1638, when Rowley Ward, sergeant at law, purchased it of the possessor of that name.”

Source: The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire 1830. Wm. West. Printed and Published by R. Wrightson, Athenaeum, New-Street; and sold by Baldwin and Craddock, and Hurst, Chance and Co., London. 1830.

England’s Gazetteer 1752

Pilleaton, Nether and Over, (Warw.) on the S.W. side of Kington. The former is a large p. and bel, anciently to the Herceys, and was therefore called Pillerton-Hercy; then to the Wandakes, the Spines, the Wencotes, &c. In the R. of Hen. VI. Sir Phil. Thornbury was Ld. of the manor; after which it passed to the Dudleys, and then to the crown by the attainder of Sir Ambrose in the R. of Phil. and Mary, who granted one moiety of it to Will. Rice. In 1580 it bel. to Thomas Throckmorton, as it did afterwards to the Underhills; but in 1638 it was purchased by Rowley Ward, serjeant at law, in whose family it still remains. The latter, which is in the p. of the former, bel. anciently to a mon. in Normandy, and afterwards to that of Sheen in Surry. After the Diss. it was sold to Jeff. Shakerley, who sold it to Mr. Holt; by whom it was conveyed to Mr. Lee, and by him in the R. of Phil. and Mary to Mr. Hen. Ward; and the latter's son, William, sold it to William Compton, Esq; uncle to the then E. of Northampton, who passed it away to the E. of Rutland, in whose family it continues.

Source: England’s Gazetteer; Stephen Whatley; 1752.

Pillerton Priors

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Pillerton-Priors, a parish in Shipston-on-Stour district, Warwick; adjacent to the Fosse way, 4 miles SW of Kineton, and 7 ¾ SE of Stratford-on-Avon r. station. Post-town, Kineton, under Warwick. Acres, 1,460. Real property, £2,207. Pop., 190. Houses, 45. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of P. Hersey, in the diocese of Worcester. The church went long ago to decay; but the churchyard is still in use. There is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1861.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Pillerton-Priors, 3½ miles S.W. Kineton. P. 183

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire 1830

Pillerton Priors, or Over Pillerton, - at the time of the Conquest, was called Pillerton Parva, not a mile distant from Pillerton Hercy, is also a parish in Kington hundred. In 1803, its parochial rates were £176 5s. 2d. at 2s. 10½d. in the pound. In 1811, it contained 35 houses and 168 inhabitants. In 1821, it contained 31 houses and 151 inhabitants. In 1826, it was valued at £2139, and its proportion to the county rate was £8 18s. 3d.

At the Conquest, it was in possession of the same as the preceding place [Pillerton Hercy]. After the dissolution, it passed through the families of Sackerley, Holt, Cliff, Lee, Ward, and Compton, the last of whom sold it to the Earl of Rutland. The chapel, which is now in ruins, was dedicated to May Magdalen

Source: The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire 1830. Wm. West. Printed and Published by R. Wrightson, Athenaeum, New-Street; and sold by Baldwin and Craddock, and Hurst, Chance and Co., London. 1830.

Parish Records

Pillerton Hersey

Birth, Marriage, & Death Records

Census Records

Military Records

United Kingdom, World War I Service Records, 1914-192010 results

Pillerton Priors

Birth, Marriage, & Death Records

Census Records

Military Records

United Kingdom, World War I Service Records, 1914-19206 results

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Further Reading

Victorian Village Life: A Warwickshire School Master's Record, Langley, Anne ISBN 10: 0953746224 / ISBN 13: 9780953746224 Published by Stretton Millennium History Grou, 2004

The Warwickshire Village Book (Villages in Britain S.) by Warwickshire Federation of Women's Institutes | 12 Oct 2000