NUNEATON, a well-built market and post town of Warwickshire, situated on the Anker, 8 miles N. from Coventry. The church is a small building with a square tower. The town also contains several chapels for nonconformists, and a free grammar-school founded by Edward VI. in 1553. Manf. Ribbons. Mar. D. Sat. Pop. 4645. It is a telegraph station, and a station on the Leamington, Coventry, and Nuneaton branch of the London and North-Western Railway.
Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.
This is a market-town on the river Anker, distant from London, by way of Coventry, ninety-nine miles; eight from Coventry, eighteen from Warwick, twenty-nine from Derby, twenty-three from Birmingham, and eighteen from Leicester. Market-day on Saturday; fair, May 14. The church has a square tower with six bells; also a clock and chimes. The manufactures carried on here are ribbons. The town took its name from a nunnery, erected here in 1170, part of whose remains are now standing at the north-west end of the town. Here is a free-school founded by the inhabitants in the reign of Edward VI who gave to it three closes of ground, in the liberty of Coventry, to be held of the Crown, as belonging to the manor of East-Greenwich, in soccage. Continue reading “Nuneaton Warwickshire Universal British Directory 1791”