Newton Regis is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Alternative names: Newton in the Thistles
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1591
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1663
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian
- Clifton Campville
- No Mans Heath
- Thorpe Constantine
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NEWTON-REGIS, or Newton-in-the-Thistles, a village and a parish in the district of Tamworth and county of Warwick. The village stands within 1½ mile of the boundaries with Stafford and Leicester, 3 NNE of Polesworth r. station, and 5¼ ENE of Tamworth; and has a post-office under Tamworth. The parish comprises 1,601 acres. Real property, £2,324. Pop., 442. Houses, 111. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £300. Patrons, Col. Inge and Sir Robert Burdett, Bart. The church is a handsome edifice, with tower and lofty spire. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Tamworth
Probate Court: Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Arden
Poor Law Union: Tamworth