Newbold on Avon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Alternative names: Newbold upon Avon
Other places in the parish include: Long Lawford, Newbold on Avon with Little Harborough, Cosford, and Little Lawford.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1663
Nonconformists include: General Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Kings Newnham
- Harborough Magna
- Church Lawford
- Monks Kirby
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NEWBOLD-UPON-AVON, a village, a township, and a parish, in Rugby district, Warwick. The village stands on the river Avon and the Oxford canal, adjacent to the Northwestern railway, 1½ mile WNW of Rugby r.station; and has a post-office under Rugby. The township includes the village, and extends into the country. Real property, £3,778; of which £144 are in quarries. Pop., 456. Houses, 100. The parish contains also the townships of Cosford, Little Lawford, and Long Lawford. Acres, 4,020. Real property, £10,236. Pop., 1,169. Houses, 270. The property is divided among a few. The manor was long held by the family of Boughton. Newbold House and Newbold Grange are chief residences. Limestone, of superior quality, is largely calcined. The parish is a meet for the Atherstone hounds. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Long Lawford, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £566. Patron, J. W. B. Leigh, Esq. The church is ancient; was repaired in 1853; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; contains monuments to the Boughtons; and stands on an eminence. There are a chapel of ease at Long Lawford, a national school, and charities £69.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Rugby
Probate Court: Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Coventry
Poor Law Union: Rugby