Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. John the Baptist
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1671
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1655
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MIDDLETON, a village and a parish in the district of Tamworth and county of Warwick. The village stands near the boundary with Staffordshire, 1½ mile W of the Faseley canal, 2 W of the river Tame, 2¾ S of Watlingstreet, 3 NW of Kingsbury r. station, and 4½ SSW of Tamworth; has a postal letter-box under Tamworth; and gives the title of Baron to the family of Willoughby. The parish comprises 3,540 acres. Real property, £5,293. Pop., 484. Houses, 99. The manor and most of the land belong to Lord Middleton. Middleton Hall is the seat of John Peel, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £100. Patron, Lord Middleton. The church is of varions dates, from Norman downwards; consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with a tower; and contains several monuments to the Willoughbys, and a very ancient and curious one to Lord Ridgway. There are an endowed school with £46 a year, and charities £29.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1848
Middleton, a parish in the Tamworth division of the hund. of Hemlingford, union of Tamworth, county of Warwick; 4 miles south-west by south of Tamworth, and 9½ north-east of Birmingham: the Birmingham and Fazeley canal passes 1½ mile east of the town. Living, a donative, formerly in the archd. of Coventry and dio. of Lichfield and Coventry, now in the dio. of Worcester; gross income £100. Patron, in 1835, Lord Middleton. Here are 2 day and Sunday schools, endowed with £1,000 three per cent, consols. Other charities, in 1834, £19 15s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £216. Acres 3,541. Houses 107. A. P. £3,800. Pop., in 1801, 544; in 1831, 550.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1848.
Church records - Indexes
Surname index of burials 1813-1837 : for the parish churches St. Nicholas Curdworth, St. John the Baptist Lea Marston, St. John the Baptist Middleton, St. Giles Nether Whitacre, St. Leonard Over Whitacre, St. Cuthbert Shustoke, St. Chad Wishaw in the county of Warwickshire
Land and property
Poorhouses, poor law, etc.
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Tamworth
- Probate Court: Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Arden
- Poor Law Union: Tamworth
- Hundred: Hemlingford
- Province: Canterbury