Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1660
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
- Long Itchington
[su_gmap address="Marton Warwickshire" zoom="11"]
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MARTON, a village and a parish in Rugby district, Warwick. The village stands at the confluence of the rivers Itchin and Leam, ¾ of a mile S of the Fosse way, 1 mile N of the Leamington and Rugby railway, and 6 ENE of Leamington; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Rugby. The parish comprises 910 acres. Real property, £2,525. Pop. in 1851,373; in 1861,410. Houses, 87. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Sir T. Biddulph, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £175. Patron, the Rev. B. B. Hulbert. The church is ancient, but out of repair; and consists of nave and chancel, with a tower. There are a national school, and charities £14.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Marton, a parish in the Southam division of the hund. of Knightlow, union of Rugby, county of Warwick; 4¾ miles south-east of Southam. Living, a discharged vicarage, formerly in the archd. of Coventry and dio. of Lichfield and Coventry, now in the dio. of Worcester; rated at £7 14s. 8d.. returned at £121 5s.; gross income £160. Tithes, commuted in 1802. Patroness, in 1835, Mrs. Knightley. Here are 2 daily schools. Charities, in 1827. £12 15s. 6d. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £66 1s. Acres 910. Houses 74. A. P. £2,325. Pop., in 1801, 371; in 1831, 311.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Church records - Indexes
Civil Registration District: Rugby
Probate Court: Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Marton
Poor Law Union: Rugby