Mancetter is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Alternative names: Mancester, Manchester
Other places in the parish include: Oldbury, Hartshill
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1576
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian
Parishes adjacent to Mancetter
- Fenny Drayton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MANCETTER, or MANCHESTER, a village and a parish in Atherstone district, Warwick. The village stands adjacent to Watling-street, the river Anker, the boundary with Leicestershire, the Trent Valley railway, and the Coventry canal, 1 mile SE of Atherstone; occupies part of the site of the Roman station Mandnessedum; and, together with the neighbourhood, has furnished a considerable number and variety of Roman relics. Pop., 355. Houses, 97. The parish contains also the township of Atherstone, and the hamlets of Oldbury and Hartshill; and its Post town is Atherstone. Acres, 4,120. Real property, £21,637: of which £398 are in quarries. Pop., 5,408. Houses, 1,239. The property is much subdivided. The Manor House is the residence of Viscount Curzon; Mancetter House, of J. R. Harper, Esq.; Mancetter Lodge, of Alliston, Esq.; and Oldbury Hall, of H. Okeover, Esq. Robert Glover, who lived in the manor house, and Mrs. Lewis, who was also a resident in the parish, were martyred for religion in respectively 1555 and 1577. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £230. Patrons, the church Patronage Society. The church stands on an eminence, within the limits of the ancient Roman station; dates from the middle of the 14th century; consists of nave and chancel, with a tower; and contains monuments to Robert Glover and Mrs. Lewis. The vicarages of Atherstone and Hartshill are separate benefices. There are three dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, a Benedictine nunnery, a free school, and a girls' national school, in Atherstone; two dissenting chapels, two endowed schools, and a national school, in Hartshill; and eleven alms houses, from a bequest of £2,000, in Mancetter village.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Atherstone
Probate Court: Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Arden
Poor Law Union: Atherstone