Long Itchington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Other places in the parish include: Stoney Thorpe and Bascote.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1653
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ITCHINGTON (LONG), a village and a parish in Southam district, Warwick. The village stands on the river Ichene or Watergall, near the Warwick and Napton canal, 2 miles NNW of Southam and 2 S of Marton r. station; and has a post office under Rugby. The parish contains also the hamlets of Stoney-Thorpe and Bascote. Acres, 4,510. Real property, £8,636. Pop. in 1851, 1,216; in 1861, 1,150. Houses, 271. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged to the Odingsells; passed through several hands to Dudley Earl of Leicester, who here entertained Queen Elizabeth on her way to Kenilworth; and belongs now to Lord Leigh and the Earl of Aylesford. The parish is a meet for the Warwickshire hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £210. Patron, J. D. Ellis, Esq., three turns, and Lord Leigh, one turn. The church is very ancient; consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with a tower; and was restored in 1866. There are chapels for Independents and Primitive Methodists, a neat national school of 1855, and charities £31. St. Wulfstan was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Southam
Probate Court: Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Marton
Poor Law Union: Southam