Long Compton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Other places in Long Compton parish include: Weston.
Parish church: Saints Peter and Paul
Parish registers begin: 1670
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Long Compton
- Little Rollright
- Great Rollright
- Barton on the Heath
- Great Wolford
- Little Compton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Compton (Long), a village and a parish in the district of Chipping-Norton and county of Warwick. The village stands near the boundary with Oxford and Gloucester, 5 miles SSE of Shipston-on-Stour, and 6 E of Moreton r. station; has a post office under Shipston-on-Stour; and was once a market-town. The parish includes also the hamlet of Weston. Acres, 3, 530. Real property, £6, 117. Pop., 703. Houses, 166. Weston House is the seat of Sir George Phillips, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £191. Patron, Eton College. The church was recently restored. There are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and charities £18.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Long Compton, 5 miles S. Shipston-on-Stour. P. 829
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Long Compton (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Chipping-Norton, Brails division of the hundred of Kington, S. division of the county of Warwick, 4 1/4 miles (N. N. W.) from Chipping-Norton; containing, with the hamlet of Weston, 829 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from London to Birmingham, through Oxford, and comprises 3750a. 2r. 11p. It had formerly a weekly market and an annual fair, granted by Henry III. in the 15th of his reign, both of which are now disused: the village is a polling-place for the southern division of the county. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's books at £12. 15. 7 1/2.; net income, £191; patrons and impropriators, Provost and Fellows of Eton College. The tithes were commuted for land in 1811; the glebe contains 125 acres, to which there is a glebe-house. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Independents, and a national school. About a mile southward is that remarkable monument of antiquity called Rollerich, or Rowlright, stones.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Family History Links
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Chipping Norton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Kineton
- Poor Law Union: Chipping Norton
- Hundred: Kington
- Province: Canterbury