Leamington Priors All Saints
Leamington Priors All Saints is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Warwickshire.
Other places in the parish include: Newbold Comyn, Leamington Priors Spa, and Royal Leamington Spa.
Alternative names: Leamington; Leamington Priors; Leamington Priors All Saints
Status: Ancient Parish; Civil Parish until 1902
succeeded by Leamington Priors Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1618
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
Nonconformists include: Calvinist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Countess of Huntingdon Methodist, Independent/Congregational, Irvingite/Catholic Apostolic Church, Moravian/United Brethren, Particular Baptist, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Leamington Priors All Saints
- Leamington Priors St Mary
- Warwick St Nicholas
01 Apr 1902 Leamington Priors All Saints was abolished to create LEAMINGTON CP (see below)
Leamington Priors St Mary
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1839
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1839
Parishes adjacent to Leamington Priors St Mary
- Leamington Priors All Saints
- Radford Semele
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LEAMINGTON, a town, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district and county of Warwick. The town stands on the river Leam, on two lines of railway toward Coventry, Rugby, Oxford, and Birmingham, in a sheltered and well wooded valley, amid a fertile tract of country, 2¼ miles E by N of Warwick, 3¼ NW of the Fosse way, and 23 SE of Birmingham. It took its name from its situation on the Leam; and it is called also Leamington Priors, from its having belonged to Kenilworth priory, and to distinguish it from Leamington-Hastings. The manor around it belonged to Turchill, the Saxon Earl of Warwick; went, after the Conquest, to Roger de Montmorency, who became Earl of Shrewsbury; passed soon to the Bishop of Liehfield and Coventry, and then to Geoffrey de Clinton; was given, by the latter's family, in 1160, to Kenilworth priory; went, at the dissolution, to the Crown; was given, by Elizabeth, to Dudley, Earl of Warwick; reverted, at his death, to the Crown; was given, by James I., to Sir Fulke Greville, who became Lord Brooke; and was subsequently divided among various proprietors. Medicinal waters here were noticed, in 1586, by Camden; they were mentioned afterwards by Speed, Dugdale, Fuller, and the continuator of Dugdale; they began to attract public attention about 1784; and they have occasioned what was only a small and obscure village so late as about 1812, to rise to the condition of a famous watering place, and of a large, beautiful, and prosperous town. The Queen, when Princess Victoria, visited the town in 1830; and she gave her sanction, in 1838, to its being called Royal Leamington Spa. Scarcely any trace of the old village remains. The town is all modern, all well built, and nearly all neat, handsome, or elegant. It is cut in two by the river; and the two parts of it are called old and new; but it stands compact, and presents a uniform character. Its streets are spacious, and mostly intersect one another at right angles. Its principal street is scarcely excelled, or even so long since as 1840 was scarcely excelled, by any street in any town in the kingdom. Its squares, its crescents, its terraces, and its parades may nearly or quite bear comparison with those of the metropolis. Its baths are unsurpassed by any in Europe. Its detached villa residences, in the outskirts and in the neighbourhood, are numerous, and may vie with those of any watering place in England. Its principal hotels, six in number, are first class, at once in size, in beauty, and in appliances. The Regent hotel was erected in 1819, at a cost of nearly £25,000; has been entirely renovated and largely embellished; presents to the lower parade a noble tetrastyle Doric portico; contains upwards of 100 apartments; and has attached mews, with accommodation for 100 horses, and a corresponding number of carriages. The Clarendon hotel stands at the top of Lansdowne place; presents one fine frontage to York terrace and another to Beauchamp square; has a large and handsome entrance hall; is noted for the excellence of its arrangements; and partakes materially of the character of a large family mansion. The Bath, the Crown, the Angel, and the Post-Office hotels also are notable. The assembly rooms, in Regent street, were built in 1813, at a cost of £10,000; contain a ball room 86 feet long, 36 wide, and 23 high; and contain also a billiard room. The music hall, in Bath street, was erected in 1821, at a cost of £25,000; is artistically constructed; and contains a good organ. The Public hall, in Windsor street, and the Temperance hall, in Warwick street, are used for public meetings, concerts, and assemblies. The town hall, with police station, in High street, was erected in 1831, at a cost of £2,000. The theatre, in Clemens street, was opened in 1849, and superseded a previous one in Bath street of 1814. The tennis court, in Lower Bedford street, was erected in 1847; includes a tennis court proper, an open racket court, and a covered racket court; and has attached to it a reading room and a library. The public library and reading room, in Bath street, was established in 1857; and has upwards of 3,000 volumes, and a good supply of newspapers. The militia stores and armoury, in Radford road, are a quadrangular brick structure. The parish church, or All Saints, stands near Bath street; was originally a chapel to the parish of Leek Wootton; underwent enlargement in 1816 and subsequent years; was reconstructed and further enlarged in 1843 and following years; is in the decorated English style; comprises nave, chancel, transept, and apse, with tower and spire; measures 126 feet in length, 64 in width, and 76 in height; has a W seven light window of stained glass, 42 feet high and 20 wide; and contains monuments to Chief-Justice Willes and Messrs. Abbotts and Satchwell. St. Mary's church, near Radford road, was built in 1839, at a cost of £5,495; is in the style of the 15th century, of cemented brick; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with embattled tower; and contains 1,200 sittings. Christ church, in Beanchamp square, was built in 1825; is in the Norman style; and has a low square tower. St. Luke's church, in Augusta place, was built in 1851. Trinity church, in Beauchamp square, was built in 1847; and is a cruciform structure, of nave, aisles, and chancel. Milverton church, on Milverton hill, was built in 1836; is in the Doric style; has a tetrastyle portico and a circular bell tower; and contains about 1,800 sittings. The Independent chapel in Spencer street was built in 1836; is a fine brick structure; and has a massive portico. The Independent chapel in Holly walk was built in 1849; and is a fine brick structure in the pointed style. Lady Huntingdon's chapel, in Mill street, is a neat Gothic edifice of 1829. The Baptist chapel in Warwick street was built in 1834; is a neat brick structure; and is noted for the ministry of the voluminous religions writer, Dr. O. Winslow. There are also another Baptist chapel, one of Wesleyans, one of Primitive Methodists, one of United Free Methodists, and one of Plymouth Brethren. The Roman Catholic church in George street was built in 1828; is in the style of the Ionic temple of Ilissus; and contains about 400 sittings. Another Roman Catholic church was built in 1864, at a cost of about £8,000; is in a semi Byzantine style, of brick with stone dressings; has an elaborately decorated interior, 102 feet long and 75 feet high; and was designed to have, at some future time, a tower and spire 200 feet high. A new cemetery, on Whitnash road, was formed in 1851, and has a chapel.-The Leamington college, in Binswood crescent, was built in 1847; is in the pointed style, of red brick, interlaced with grey; presents a frontage of 155 feet; contains a hall 95 feet long and 32 feet high; was founded for sons of the higher classes, on Church of England principles; trains pupils also for the army and the navy; and has an exhibition at one of the universities. There are national schools, three parochial schools, two schools of industry for girls, three infant schools, and several denominational schools. The Warneford hospital was erected in 1832, for gratuitous medical advice and baths to the poor; was enlarged with two wards and a receiving room in 1838; and was further enlarged, with a sanatorium for fever patients, in 1862. The female penitentiary, in Wise street, was established in 1839; and the young girls' daily home, in Queen street, was instituted in 1854. The spas are twelve in number; are variously saline, sulphureous, and chalybeate; are used both externally and internally; and are regarded as beneficial in diseases of the skin, the stomach, and the viscera. The one first discovered, now called the old spring, is in the vicinity of the parish church, and was inclosed within a small edifice, in 1803, by the Earl of Aylesford. The Royal baths, and pump rooms were erected there in 1812, at a cost of £25,000, by the Earl's grandson; they had a frontage 106 feet in length and 30 feet in height, flanked by two wings each 30 feet in length, and surrounded on three sides by a handsome Doric colonnade; and they recently were reconstructed at a cost of nearly £15,000. The old pump room was converted into a spacious saloon for balls and concerts; the hot and cold saline baths were entirely renovated; a large swimming bath, and Turkish baths were added; and attached gardens were beautifully adorned. Baths, formerly called the Original, now called Wood's, are in Bath street; and comprise warm and cold mineral water baths, and vapour and hot air baths. Hudson's baths are in High street; and comprise warm sulphureous baths, and cold and warm saline baths. Oldham's open air swimming baths are near Leam terrace; are enclosed by a high wall; and have convenient small dressing rooms. A hydropathic establishment is on an elevated spot, at a short distance from the town; was erected in 1863; draws its supply of water from a perennial open spring; and has accommodation for 40 visitors. The arboretum is on the Lachbrook road, adjacent to the hydropathic establishment; covers about 15 acres; is ornamentally disposed in walks and terraces; belongs to John Hitchman, Esq.; and is open to the public. The Jephson gardens are near the foot of Lower Parade; have two handsome small lodges at their principal entrance; are traversed by ornamental paths, and beautified with a large artificial lake, and with the waters of the Leam; contain a Corinthian temple, with a marble statue of Dr. Jephson; are vested in trustees, for the uses of the public; and are the scene, in summer, of daily performances of an instrumental music band, and of occasional archery fêtes, galas, and horticultural exhibitions. Many attractive objects and places are in the near neighbourhood, or within easy distance; including Warwick Castle, Guy's Cliff, Kenilworth Castle, Hatton, Stoneleigh Abbey, Coventry, Stratford-on-Avon, and Combe Abbey. The town has a head post office in Bath street, receiving post offices in Upper Parade and Clarendon square, five postal pillar boxes, two railway stations, and two telegraph offices; publishes two weekly newspapers; and is governed by a local board of health, established in 1852, and possessing police powers. Little trade, except subordinately to the resort of visitors, is carried on; but there are iron foundries, and a large brewery. The town, as outlined by the superintendent registrar of births and deaths, includes all the parish of Leamington-Priors, and parts of the parishes of Milverton and Lillington. Pop. in 1851, 15,692; in 1861, 17,958. Houses, 3,257. Pop. of the Milverton portion, 341; of the Lillington portion, 215. The parish comprises 1,720 acres. Real property, £112, 298; of which £2,925 are in gas works. Pop. in 1851, 15,724; in 1861, 17,402. Houses, 3,160. The parochial living is a vicarage, and the other livings are p. curacies or chapelries, in the diocese of Worcester. Value of the vicarage, £255; of the p. curacies or chapelries, not reported. Patron, of the vicarage, Mrs. E. Wise; of St. Mary, Trustees; of Christ Church, the Proprietor; of St. Luke, the Rev. E. Clay; of Trinity, the Rev. W. H. Lambart; of Milverton, the Earl of Warwick. The sub-district contains the parishes of Leamington-Priors and Milverton. Acres, 2,900. Pop., 18,768. Houses, 3,441.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Leamington-Priors, 2 miles E. Warwick. Mrkt. Wed. P. 12,864
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Leamington Priors, co. Warwick.
P. T. Warwick (90) 2½ m. E. Pop. 2183.
A parish in Kenilworth division of the hundred of Knightlow, situated nearly in the centre of the county, and comprising within its limits the fashionable watering-place called Leamington Spa. Since the year 1797, the mineral waters have been rising in reputation, on account of their efficacy in the treatment of cutaneous diseases, glandular obstructions, bilious and dyspeptic complaints, and other maladies, for which they are used both internally and externally. Various new springs have been discovered within the last twenty or thirty years, and Leamington, from an inconsiderable village, has become a place of crowded resort for the votaries of health or pleasure. The public spring is enclosed in a handsome stone edifice; and a pump-room and baths of elegant architecture, ornamented with a spacious Doric colonnade, have been erected at a great expense, for the accommodation of visiters. The baths, more than twenty in number, are handsomely and tastefully fitted up, abundantly supplied with the mineral water, by means of a powerful forcing-engine; and adjoining them are commodious dressing-rooms. Here, as at Cheltenham, the different springs are variously impregnated. The original Spa, which is mentioned by Sir William Dugdale, in his “History of Warwickshire,” contains a large proportion of common salt, besides sulphate of soda, muriate of magnesia, and sulphate of lime; and there are also chalybeate and sulphureous springs, the water of the latter being chiefly used externally. The living is a dis. vicarage in the archdeaconry of Coventry and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry; valued in K. B. 6l. 10s.; ann. val. P. R. 141l. 5s.; patron (1829) the Rev. H. Wise. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was originally erected as a chapel of ease to the neighbouring parish of Wootton. There are also another episcopal place of worship, a chapel called Union Chapel, a chapel appropriated to the Roman Catholics, a third to the Independents, and a fourth to the Wesleyan Methodists. Among the charitable institutions established here are national schools, a general hospital and dispensary, and free baths for the benefit of pauper invalids. One of the principal ornaments of Leamington is the bridge over the river Leam, which connects the New Town with the original village of Leamington, called, by way of distinction, the Old Town. The houses on both sides of the river are well built, and many of them are splendidly and elegantly furnished, as boarding or lodging houses for visiters. Among the public buildings not already mentioned are the assembly-rooms, erected in a style of grandeur and elegance rarely excelled, and comprising a ball-room, a refectory, billiard-rooms, card-rooms, and reading-rooms. There is likewise a new suit of concert and ball rooms; and in 1814 was erected a handsome theatre. Two public libraries, a spacious picture-gallery, a museum, and Ranelagh Gardens, contribute towards the accommodation and amusement of the visiters of this place. The local police of the town is under the direction of commissioners appointed by act of Parliament, subject to whose regulation the streets are paved and lighted with gas. A customary market is held on Wednesday, which is abundantly supplied, especially with provisions.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. III; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Warwickshire Delineated 1820
On leaving Warwick we cross the river Avon by a very elegant bridge of one arch, and leaving on the right the lace manufactory, we, at the distance of about half a mile, pass Myton House, the residence of Colonel Steward; half a mile further the road is intersected by the Warwick and Napton canal, a short distance up which is a noble Aqueduct that conveys the water of the canal over the Avon, from which some fine landscapes are obtained. Two miles from Warwick is the fashionable and celebrated village of Leamington Priors, on the entrance of which, to the left of the road, is the pleasant mansion of Matthew Wise, Esq. surrounded by thriving plantations, and approached by a fine semi-circular avenue of lofty trees. Leamington is delightfully situated on the banks of the river Leam, from whence the former part of its name is derived; the latter appellation was given to it from its having belonged to the priory at Kenilworth, and also to distinguish it from another Leamington in this county; we think, however, that in the present day this last epithet may be omitted with great propriety, as Leamington Spa is a sufficiently distinctive name; and, in fact, the term Priors seems to be sinking into obscurity. Leamington has the advantage of being situated in the midst of a most delightful and luxuriously fertile country, and surrounded by objects of attraction to the antiquary, lover of the picturesque, or mere rambler in search of amusement or change of place, must ever be a favourite resort to all ranks in society. Mr. Warner remarks, in his Northern Tour, that "No county in England is more famous for its roads than Warwickshire," and this particularly applies to the roads in the vicinity of Leamington. Leamington, from a mean inconsiderable village, has, within the last twenty years, owing to the virtue and fame of its saline springs, risen into great eminence, and now justly ranks with the most elegant and celebrated watering places. Were it possible for us to look back and behold what it was fifty years ago, with what surprise should we be struck to contemplate its appearance at that time with its present state; then there were but a few humble cottages, a stream of water ran through what is now called high-street to supply a large fish-pond in the centre of the village; and another stream ran from thence, down what is now called bath-street, to the river Leam. One public house, the Dog, was the only accommodation that could be procured in the place; and Mr. William Abbotts (the first founder of a set of baths at Leamington), when he came to settle here, wishing to establish another, the magistrates refused to grant him a licence, as they alleged one public house was sufficient for so small a place as Leamington ! Now, however, Leamington can boast nearly twenty hotels, inns, and boarding-houses, and "where the hovel stood immur'd in smoke, Where lay the thorny glebe for years unbroke, Sudden we view, with pleasure and surprise. Superb hotels and handsome structures rise, With aspect fair, and numerous now they stand. Meet to receive the Princes of the land." Medley's Beauties of Leamington. The saline springs to which this place is indebted for its celebrity, have been long known; not only to the inhabitants of the village, but to topographical and medical writers, being mentioned in Camden's Britannia, published about 1586, and many other subsequent works; though it is but recently that they have attained general notice. Dugdale in his "Antiquities of Warwickshire," says "nigh to the east end of the church there is a spring of salt water, (not above a stone's throw from the river Leam,) whereof the inhabitants make use for seasoning of meat."Leamington is greatly indebted for the esteem in which its waters are now held to the exertions of Dr. Kerr, of Northampton, who was in the habit of recommending them to his patients long before their excellent medicinal effects were generally known; and by his advice Mr. William Abbotts, sunk a well and erected the first baths, which were opened in June, 1786. The opinion of Dr. Kerr being supported - by Dr. Allen, Dr. Johnstone, and other medical men, Leamington began to attract some notice; and in 1790, another well was sunk and a set of baths erected by Matthew Wise, Esq. In 1797, Dr. Lambe, an eminent physician, who was practising at Warwick, published an analysis of these waters in the fifth volume of the "Memoirs of the Literary and Philosophical Society of Manchester," and from that time they have rapidly gained ground in the estimation of the public. These waters have also been analized by Drs. Winthrop and Middleton, and from the "Chemical Analysis, &c." of the latter gentleman we extract the following remarks. "The excellent effects" observes Dr. Middleton, "produced by the waters in many chronic disorders, in plethoric habits, in diseases of the skin, and in visceral obstructions, particularly such as have arisen from a residence in hot climates, or from too great indulgence in the pleasures of wine or the table, have stamped them with the highest value, among that class of natural medicines to which they so eminently belong." The Leamington waters are efficacious in bilious complaints and jaundice, cutaneous eruptions, disorders of the digestive organs, diseases of the kidneys and gravel, distorted vertebrae, dyspepsia or indigestion, hypochondriasis, inflamed ulcers, intestinal worms, obstinately costive habits, paralytic affections, phthisis pulmonalis or consumptions, piles, rheumatism and gout, scrofula, suppressed menstruation, and visceral obstructions. There are also many other complaints — observes Dr. Middleton in his excellent treatise — that the Leamington waters are used with safety and with the desired effect; "to the sedentary and the studious, to the man of pleasure, and the man of business; to all who have snffered the current of life to stagnate for want of active exercise, or have driven it on too rapidly by indulgence and excess, let me recommend an annual resort to these salubrious waters."There are at present six salme wells at Leamington, besides the original spring (mentioned by Dugdale), which belongs to the Earl of Aylesford, as lord of the manor, and is enclosed in a handsome stone building, that was erected at the expense of the late Earl. The next well in priority of discovery is the one sunk by Mr. Abbotts, in 1786, who at the same time erected baths, now the property of his grandson, Mr. William Smith. These baths were re-built in 1815, and consist of six hot and one child's bath, with dressing rooms, and a small but handsome pump room. The baths belonging to Mr. Wise are situated at the top of bath-street; the spring was discovered in 1790, when baths were erected, but they have since been re-built, and consist of one cold bath, four gentlemen's, seven lady's, and one child's hot baths, with dressing rooms, and a handsome pump room. The baths belonging to Mr. Robbins are situated near the bridge Over the Leam, and the well was sunk and baths erected in 1806; they consist of one cold, three hot, and a child's bath, with dressing rooms, and a pump room. The baths erected by Mr. Reed are situated in high-street, and comprise one cold, three hot, and a child's bath, but have no dressing rooms; the spring was discovered in 1810. The spring belonging to the new or royal pump room and baths was also discovered in 1810; these baths are situated on the opposite side of the river to those belonging to Mr. Robbins, and comprize twenty various kinds of baths, with dressing rooms and other conveniences. In 1816 a spring was discovered in Clemen's-street, when baths were erected. These consist of four warm baths, with dressing rooms, and an elegant pump room; they are called "The Imperial Sulphuric Medicinal Fount and Lady's Marble Baths!"The Leamington Spa Charity is an excellent institution, founded in 1806, by Mr. Benjamin Satchwell, for the purpose of providing baths, free of expense, for such poor sick invalids (properly recommended) who are unable, from their situations in life, otherwise to procure them. The philanthropist must rejoice at the establishment of this laudable institution, and we have the pleasure to observe, that it has been the means of many extraordinary cures having been effected. It is supported by voluntary subscriptions, and for this purpose subscription books are left with the different proprietors of the hotels and boarding-houses.Leamington Church is an ancient, and was till lately a plain structure; but from the recent additions and repairs it has undergone, it now assumes the appearance of a handsome edifice. It is dedicated to All Saints, and originally belonged as a chapel to Leek Wootton, a village about four miles distant. Mr. Pratt, in his "Guide to Leamington," observes, that "the church was repaired and new pewed in 1800; the Saxon arch capitals between the nave and chancel destroyed, and renovated with painted deal wainscot !" The church being quite insufficient for the accommodation of the parishioners and numerous visitors frequenting the spa, a new wing was added in 1810. An old square tower rises from the west end of the church, which, when the new wing was added, was beautified and ornamented with pinnacles; it contains a clock, recently put up; and a peal of four bells, which strike up merrily to hail the arrival of visitors of distinction at Leamington. The interior of the church presents a neat appearance, and is fitted up in a modern style, with handsome pews, and galleries round three of its sides. In the chancel is a monument to the memory of the Right Honourable Edward Willes, of Newbold Comyn, with a latin inscription, by which we are informed that he was recorder of Coventry, and attorney-general for the duchy of Lancaster; afterwards made King's sergeant at law; and, lastly, elevated in 1757, to the office of chief baron of the court of exchequer, and one of his Majesty's privy council in Ireland. He died June 24, 1768, in. the sixty-sixth year of his age. The church-yard contains a number of grave stones, the inscriptions of some of which are illegible through age. The tomb of Mr. Benjamin Satchwell, who died in December, 1815, stands prominent above all others in the church-yard; it is of the altar kind, surrounded by pallisades, with a poetical inscription from the pen of Mr. Pratt. Mr. Satchwell was a humble mechanic, but merits particular notice as being the first institutor of the Leamington Spa charity; he was also the "village rhymer," and was in the habit of waiting upon each visitor of distinction that arrived at Leamington with a copy of verses. The gravestone of Mr. William Abbotts, who died in 1805, we must not pass unnoticed, as his name will ever stand honourably recorded in the annals of Leamington, as the founder of the first baths at that place. Mrs. Elizabeth Abbotts, relict of the above, died in July, 1818.In Clemen's-street is Union Chapel, a large handsome building, erected by subscription. The religious duties at this chapel are performed by dissenting ministers, but the church prayers are used.Leamington is divided into old and new town, which are connected by a good stone bridge of three arches, over the river Leam. The old town is situated on the southern bank of the river, and the new town is seated on a fine rising ground on the opposite side. The streets at Leamington are mostly wide, and the houses, baths, and places of amusement being newly erected, present a very handsome appearance. The shops are principally in the old town; some of them are tastefully decorated, and their proprietors vie with each other in politeness and attention.The surprising increase of Leamington may furnish an interesting subject of contemplation for the mind; a stranger would not imagine, when surveying the elegant structures of the new town, that, a few years ago the spot where those buildings stand — sprung up as it were by magic — formed fields where the cattle grazed undisturbed, or the yellow corn waved luxuriously in the autumnal season, propitious to the hopes of the farmer. But the whistle of the plough boy, the low of the cattle, or the sound of the mower whetting his scythe, is now no longer heard; and rural affairs are exchanged for all the gaiety and bustle of fashionable life !The time of general resort to Leamington commences about the beginning of April, and the town generally continues thronged with company till the end of October; and, as the water is equally beneficial and has the same efficacy in all seasons, many families and persons have been induced to remain during the winter months, when every possible provision is made for their comfort and amusement.The New or Royal Pump Room and Baths before-mentioned, are situated in the new town, near the bridge over the Leam, and comprise hot, cold, tepid, vapour, and shower baths; hot and cold douche for topical applications; and a chair bath, an excellent contrivance for conveying invalids into the bath in the most easy and safe manner. They form a most magnificent building of stone, with a spacious colonade carried round three of its sides, formed by pillars of the Doric order, placed in pairs. The pump room is in length more than a hundred feet, proportionately wide and lofty; lighted on one side by a range of seven windows, and on the opposite side by one tine window of painted glass. Upwards of £25,000 were expended in the erection of this noble pile ! and we can confidently assert that these baths and pump room are the most complete in the empire.The Assembly Rooms are also in new town, situated in upper cross-street. This spacious edifice is built of stone, in a style of noble grandeur, scarcely equalled, and certainly not excelled at any watering place in the kingdom. The superb ball room is eighty-two feet in length, and thirty-six feet in width; from the lofty ceiling are suspended three extremely elegant chandeliers of cut glass, which, when lighted up on the ball nights — when the room is filled by all the fashion and beauty of a spa — present a most brilliant appearance; and the girandoles, mirrors, orchestra, and other appendages, are in the first style of elegance. In the interior, besides the ball room, is a refectory, billiard room, card room, reading room, &c. which correspond in style with the assembly room. Francis Stenton, Esq. is master of the ceremonies.A new set of Assembly, Card, and Billiard Rooms were erected in 1818, by Mr. Oldfield, in Clemen's-street, under the name of the Apollo Rooms, which form a large and handsome building.The Theatre, situated in bath-street, is a handsome building, with a front of Roman cement, and was erected in 1814. The interior is fitted up in a neat and pleasing style, and is ornamented with panoramic views of Leamington, Warwick, Guy's Cliff, &c. — the dramatic performances are offered here three times a week during the season. The theatre was built by Mr. John Simms, and is now the property and under the management of Mr. Elliston, of the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane.Among the attractive objects of amusement and curiosity at Leamington, is Mr. Bisset's Paragon Picture Gallery, on the royal parade, Warwick road. This was till recently in Clemen's-street, but Mr. Bisset finding the rooms too small to contain the whole of his paintings, &c. erected the handsome building to which they have been removed, on the royal parade. It contains upwards of a hundred and fifty paintings, many of them finely executed, and a fine collection of historical and fancy pictures, &c. — the whole well deserving the notice of visitors. The gallery is also used as a Reading Room, and is supplied with London and provincial papers, periodical publications, reviews, &c."Hail to the Muse of Painting ! thousands say,Long may she be encourag'd here to stay;Encourag'd here to waft the boast of art,And to her Patron wealth and fame impart.Long the Museum* and Gallery too,Prove thanks and liberal aid to Bisset due;While with the ardours of a generous mind,By him your tasteful pleasures are combin'd."Medley's Beauties of Leamington.At the south end of Leamington, beyond the bridge over the Warwick and Napton canal, are Ranelagh Gardens, the property of Mr. Cullis, which consist of about ten acres, laid out in fruit and pleasure gardens, walks, and shrubberies, with hot and green houses. These gardens furnish a delightful and agreeable recreation to the visitors of Leamington; and on evenings when there is no performance at the theatre, an excellent band of musicians attend, and the walks, arbours, and seats, are then crowded by a vast concourse of fashionable company.The Hotels, Inns, and Boarding Houses at Leamington are numerous and well conducted; some of them are fitted up in the most complete style, and at each accommodations may be obtained equal, if not superior, to those of any watering place. The principal are, Williams's Regent Hotel, Copps's Royal Hotel, Cross's Bedford Hotel, Russell's (late Smith's) Bath Hotel, Rackstrow's Blenheim Hotel, Hopton's Boarding House, Herbert's Tavern, the Crown Inn, and the Bowling Green Inn.Most of the inhabitants let some part of their houses as lodgings; the prices vary from ten shillings a week to five pounds, according to the number of rooms taken, or the manner in which, they are furnished. Whole houses, furnished in a handsome manner, may be obtained from five to ten pounds per week.An object of attraction at watering places are the Libraries, of which Leamington is not deficient; the principal are Elliston's, in high-street, immediately adjoining Copps's boarding house; and Perry's, which is also in high-street.It may not be amiss to mention here, that there are coaches from the Royal and Bath Hotels, and the Crown Inn, to all parts of the kingdom; jaunting cars to Warwick every hour, and ready on the shortest notice to take parties excursions; donkey carts are constantly plying for hire; and saddle horses, ponies, and donkies are always ready at command.Strangers visiting Leamington for the benefit of its salubrious waters, will be glad to know that provisions may be had here cheaper than at most places of fashionable resort, and a market has been established which is held every Wednesday during the season. This market is well attended, and plentifully supplied with poultry, butter, eggs, fruit, and all kinds of vegetables, &c. Good fish may be had at the fishmongers', who are regularly supplied by the daily coaches from London, with the various kinds. By means of the Warwick and Napton canal, which passes close to the town, coals are obtained at a reasonable rate, and goods may be forwarded to all parts.From what we have mentioned, it will be seen that there is no dearth of amusement at Leamington; and being surrounded by the most romantic and picturesque scenery, it forms an attractive place as a central point from which to make excursions to the surrounding country; and, as a writer in the Gentleman's Magazine observes, "uniting the most beautiful walks, rides, drives, and every other accommodation, amidst the luxury of some of the finest roads in England, conducting to many of the most magnificent mansions, prospects, and ruins in the empire."In 1801 the population of Leamington was 315; in 1811, 543; and the astonishing increase of it is such, that at present it amounts to about 2,500! A road branches off at the top of new town, which forms a pleasant walk or ride to Warwick. At a short distance along this road, in a deep wooded dell to the left, is the entrance to a subterraneous passage, now nearly filled up, which, according to tradition, anciently communicated with Kenilworth castle. This passage, though the entrance is five miles distant from that castle, may have proceeded thither; and if so, probably served the garrison, during a siege, as a sallying place, and for the purpose of providing provisions: we give this as merely conjectural, and, as our information respecting the extent of the passage is handed down entirely by tradition, we cannot speak with any degree of certainty.About half a mile from Leamington, on the bank of the Leam, is the delightful mansion of the Rev. Edward Willes, surrounded by beautiful gardens, lawns, fine plantations, and grounds extending as far as Leamington. These grounds and plantations were formerly open to the visitors of the spa; but, owing to the wanton imprudence of some persons on the privacy and property of their venerable and reverend owner, a part of them have been barred from inspection.Leaving Leamington, our road runs parallel with the river Leam more than a mile, which meanders through verdant meadows a little to the left, and the rising ground beyond is ornamented by groves of fine trees, belonging to the beautiful villa of the Rev. Edward Willes, — a charming view of which is obtained from the road. About a mile from Leamington we cross, by a stone bridge, a small stream that runs into the Leam, and immediately ascend another bridge over the Warwick and Napton canal, when an ancient manor house, called Radford Hall, situated on an eminence commanding pleasing prospects, appears in view. Radford church is situated near the manor house, and a short distance further is the village of Radford, where H. G. Lewis, Esq. of Malvern hall, in this county, has a small house, fitted up in a very fanciful style.
Source: Warwickshire Delineated; Francis Smith; Second Edition; 1820
FamilySearch - Birth Marriage & Death Census Migration & Naturalization Military Probate & Court - Leamington Priors St Mary
Images of Leamington Priors
[gallery size="medium" ids="146445,146444,146443"]
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Abbott Eli, Leamington Priors, cabinet maker, Oct, 16, 1827.
Abbott Simon, Leamington Priors, builder, Nov. 20, 1829.
Abnall George, Leamington, Warwickshire, wine merchant, Feb. 24, 1821.
Arnold George, Leamington Priors, builder, Aug. 4, 1837.
Bamford John, Leamington Priors, late Oxford, wine merchant, Dec. 27, 1831.
Barnwell John, Leamington Priors, carpenter and builder, July 7, 1821.
Bird Samuel, Leamington Priors, Warwick, plasterer and builder, July 5, 1839.
Brazier Frederick George, Leamington Priors, oil and colourman, Oct. 13, 1837.
Brockman John, Leamington Priors, wine merchant, March 1, 1833.
Bryan Thomas, Leamington Priors, hotel proprietor, Oct. 8, 1841.
Buckmaster William, Leamington Priors, wine merchant, Nov. 20, 1832.
Buddie Wm., sen. ; & Wm. Buddie, jun. ; Leamington, builders, July 30, 1838.
Bushill John, jun., Leamington Priors, bricklayer and builder, May 29, 1835
Butler Philip, Leamington Priors, butcher, April 19, 1842.
Byrom Henry, jun., Leamington, Warwick, banker & scrivener, Dec. 20, 1839.
Carter George, Leamington Priora, auctioneer, April 6. 1838.
Carter William, Leamington Priors, boardinghouse keeper, June 22, 1838.
Chamberlayne William. Leamington Priors, hotel keeper, April 10, 1827.
Chambers Thomas, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, builder, March 8, 1833.
Clarke Edward, Leamington priors, builder, Nov. 24, 1837.
Cooke George Richard Bond, Leamington Priors, hatter, Feb. 28, 1840.
Cooper Edward, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, grocer, Oct. 24, 1828.
Davis Wm. Dixon, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, innkeeper, Mar. 8, 1833.
Dickenson Benj., Leamington Priors, banker and builder, Aug. 28, 1840.
Edwards Wm., Stank-hill house, Budbrooke, Warwicksh. ;& Thos. Hen. Blackburn Venonr, Leamington Priora, scriveners and builders, Sept. 6, 1639.
Elliston Henry Twisleton, Leamington Priors, music seller, Dec. 6, 1842.
Elliston William Gore; and Henry Twisleton Elliston; Leamington, Warwickshire, booksellers and stationers, April 17, 1827.
Empson William Charles, Leamington Priors, money scrivener, June 2, 1835.
Evans Robert, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, wine merch., Feb. 9, 1830.
Ewington William, Leamington Priors. scrivener and builder, April 17, 1838.
Fairfax John, Leamington, Warwickshire, printer, Feb. 23, 1838.
Fern Matthew, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, plasterer, Nov. 8, 1839.
Flavel William, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, ironmonger, Feb. 12, 1828.
Franklin Francis, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, surgeon, June 9, 1891.
Fraser John, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, builder, March 24, 1829.
Godfrey Henry, Leamington Priors, chemist and druggist, Nov. 21, 1837.
Gomm John, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, hotel keeper, May 17, 1836.
Greves Henry, Leamington, late Kenilworth, timber merchant, Nov. 26, 1841.
Groucott Matthew, Leamington Priors, dealer in glass, Feb. 23, 1838.
Haines William Filkes, Leamington, Warwickshire, surgeon, Nov. 28, 1834.
Harris Joseph, Leamington, Warwickshire chemist &, druggist, Nov. 28, 1826.
Harris Robert, Leamington, Warwickshire, auctioneer, April 17, 1840.
Hawkins William; and Charles Smith; Leamington, builders, Oct. 4, 1836.
Hayward June, Leamington Priors, lodging-house keeper, Aug. 18, 1837.
Hellier Alfred, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, boot maker, June 15, 1838.
Herbert Edward, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, linen draper, Nov. 7, 1826.
Hewitt Robert, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, builder, Aug. 11, 1837.
Hodgkinson Richard, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, builder, Sept. 27, 1836.
Holden Robert, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, ironmonger, July 4, 1834.
Holtom William, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, builder, Feb. 14, 1837.
Hooper Frederick William, Leamington Priors, carver & gilder, June 17, 1831.
Hooper Frederick William, Leamington Priors, carver and gilder, July l, 1834.
Hughes Rich. Charles, Leamington, Warwickshire, hotel keeper, Mar. 20, 1835.
Hughes Thomas, Leamington, Warwickshire, auctioneer, Oct. 24, 1834.
Jennings Richard, Leamington, Warwickshire, builder, April 7, 1837.
Johnson Jesse, Leamington, Warwickshire, druggist, March 24, 1821.
Johnson William, Leamington, Warwickshire, builder, April 16, 1333.
Jull George, Leamington, Warwickshire, grocer, March 13, 1840.
Lander George, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, upholsterer, Dec. 5, 1837.
Lovell John, Leamington, Warwickshire, painter, July 13, 1838.
Lowe John, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, victualler, April 16, 1883.
Lubbock William Lloyd, Leamington, Warwicksh., bookseller, Sept. 28, 1827.
Maclean Neil, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, carpenter, July 6, 1838.
Manning John, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, builder, May 2, 1837.
Marriott Charles Joad, Leamington Priora, Warwicksh., grocer, Nov. 24, 1837.
Maxey William, Royal Leamington Spa, corn and coal dealer, Feb. 15, 1839.
Mills Oliver, Warwick and Leamington, wine merchant, Oct. 19, 1822.
Morris Charles John, Leamington Priors, bookseller & stationer, Oct. l, 1830.
Nicklin Sam. Edw. Kettle, Leamington Priors, building surveyor, Aug. 25, 1837.
Oldfield Henry, Leamington, gas-light and coke manufacturer, May 31, 1825.
Overton John Low, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, builder, June 28, 1831.
Parsons Joseph, Leamington, Warwickshire, victualler, Feb. 13, 1829.
Peace William, Leamington, Warwickshire, builder, April 13, 1838.
Peasnall Stephen, Leamington, Warwickshire, plumber & glazier, June 6, 1837.
Penn John, Leamington, Warwickshire, bookseller, March 13, 1835.
Roby Joseph Hewitt, Leamington, Warwickshire, victualler, Dec. 11, 1829.
Roby Richard, Leamington Priors. Warwickshire, hotel keeper, Nov. 9, 1827.
Rogers William, Leamington Priors, victualler and wine mercht., May 10, 1831.
Sharp James, sen., Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, printer, May 27, 1836.
Shorthose William, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, jeweller, July 19, 1836.
Simmonds Hannah, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire. milliner, Sept 27, 1842.
Solloway John, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, innkeeper, July 14, 1835.
Swain William, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, builder, April 27, 1838.
Thomas William, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, builder, Jan. 28, 1840.
Tildesley Sam., jun., Leamington Priors,Warwicksh., coal dealer, May 12, 1840.
Tomkins Gregory J. S., Leamington Priors, Warwicksh., scrivener, May 26, 1837.
Toons John, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, builder, March 5. 1841.
Townsend Simon, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, painter, May 27, 1831.
Turner Charles, Leamington Priors, lodging-house keeper, Dec. 5, 1837.
Turner William, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, builder, Nov. 8, 1836.
Warburton John, Liverpool, and Leamington, linen draper, March 19, 1839.
Watkin Wm, jun., Leamington Priors, wharfinger & coalmercht., Nov. 12, 1841.
Watson Frederick Payne, Leamington Priors, Warwicksh., builder, May 11, 1838.
White William, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire, upholsterer, Feb. 1, 1831.
Whitehouse Job, jun., Leamington, Warwinkahire, coal dealer, Aug. 19, 1834.
Woolison John, Leamington Priors, plumber and glazier, March 8, 1833.
Woolison John, Leamington Priors, plumber and glazier, May 19, 1837.
Wortham James; and Francis Wortham; Oxford street, and Leamington, Warwickshire, linen drapers, Nov. 10, 1826.
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Warwick
- Probate Court: Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Stonleigh
- Poor Law Union: Warwick
- Hundred: Knightlow
- Province: Canterbury
In 1902 the civil parish of Leamington or Royal Leamington Spa was created.
1 Apr 1902 Leamington was created through the abolition of Leamington Priors Ancient Parish, Lillington Ancient Parish and New Milverton Civil Parish.
1 Apr 1931 Leamington was enlarged by gaining 17 acres of Warwick Civil Parish.