Knowle is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Warwickshire, created in 1726 from chapelry in Hampton in Arden Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Grimshaw Hall, Gugs Cliff
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1682
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1813
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian, and Roman Catholic.
- Baddesley Clinton
- Temple Balsall
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KNOWLE, a village, a chapelry, and a sub-district in Solihull district, Warwick. The village stands on a hill, adjacent to the Birmingham and Warwick canal, 1¼ mile NE of the Oxford and Birmingham railway, and 9½ miles SE of Birmingham; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, a post office under Birmingham, and a fair on the Monday after St. Ann's day. The chapelry is in Hampton-in-Arden parish, and was made ecclesiastically parochial in 1859. Real property, £8,525. Pop. in 1851, 1,155; in 1861, 1,200. Houses, 265. The property is much subdivided. Springfield Hall, with much of the land, belongs to H. T. Boultbee, Esq. Highfield, the Laurels, and the Lodge also are chief residences. Roman coins have been found. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £112. Patron, George Unett, Esq. The church is chiefly later English, of interesting character; had a chantry chapel, founded in the time of Richard II.; and contains a splendid carved oak screen, a number of grotesquely carved oak stalls, and several sedilia. There are an endowed free school for boys and girls, and a reading room and library. The sub-district contains also Balsall hamlet, and two entire parishes. Acres, 11,461. Pop., 2,819. Houses, 660.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Solihull
Probate Court: Court of the Manor of Knowle
Rural Deanery: Arden
Poor Law Union: Solihull