Kingsbury Warwickshire Family History Guide

Kingsbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire. 

Other places in the parish include: Whateley, Slateley, Hurley, Holloughton, Foulend, Dosthill, Cliff, Brookend, Bodymoor Heath, and Bodgmoor Heath. 

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1537
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1668

Nonconformists include: Presbyterian and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

  • Polesworth
  • Over Whitacre
  • Middleton
  • Wilnecote
  • Bentley
  • Lea Marston
  • Baddesley Ensor
  • Baxterley
  • Nether Whitacre
  • Drayton Bassett

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

KINGSBURY, a village and a parish in the district of Tamworth and county of Warwick. The village stands on the river Tame, near the Birmingham and Derby railway, 1¼ mile E of the Birmingham and Fazeley canal, 3½ SSW of Watling street, and 5¼ S of Tamworth; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Tamworth. The parish contains also the villages of Hurley and Dosthill, and the hamlets of Holloughton, Foulend, Brookend, Slateley, Whateley, Cliff, and Bodymoor-Heath. Acres, 9,070. Real property, £13,213. Pop., 1,428. Houses, 289. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged, in the 9th century, to Turchill de Warwick; and passed to the Bracebridges of Atherstone. Coal is mined, and bricks are made. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £125. Patron, not reported. The church is ancient, in good condition; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. There are a chapel of ease at Dosthill, Wesleyan chapels at Hurley and BodymoorHeath, an endowed school at Kingsbury village, and charities £30.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Dosthill, with Wilnecote, a hamlet, in the parish of Kingsbury, union of Tamworth, Tamworth division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick, 3 miles (S.) from Tamworth; containing 718 inhabitants. Here is a chapel of ease to the vicarage of Kingsbury.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Administration

County: Warwickshire
Civil Registration District: Tamworth
Probate Court: Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Worcester
Rural Deanery: Arden
Poor Law Union: Tamworth
Hundred: Hemlingford
Province: Canterbury