Kings Newnham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Alternative names: Newnham Regis
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1591
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian
- Newbold on Avon
- Church Lawford
- Monks Kirby
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NEWNHAM-REGIS, a parish in Rugby district, Warwick; on the Oxford canal, near the Trent Valley railway, 2 miles S E of Stretton r. station, and 4 NW by W of Rugby. It has a post-office, of the name of Newnham, under Rugby. Acres, 1,418. Real property, £2,308; of which £148 are in quarries. Pop., 129. Houses, 34. The manor belonged formerly to the Crown and to Kenilworth priory. There are lime-works and a chaly-beate spring; and the latter is mentioned in Camden's Britannia, acquired considerable celebrity, went into disuse, and was restored in 1857 by the late Lord John Scott. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Church-Lawford, in the diocese of Worcester. The church went long ago to ruin, and is now represented by only an ivy-clad tower. Its site came to be used as a stack-yard; was partly excavated in 1852; and was found to cover embalmed remains of several members of the noble family of Chichester.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Rugby
Probate Court: Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Coventry
Poor Law Union: Rugby