Warwickshire, a county in the centre of England, lying in a N.W. direction from the metropolis. It is bounded on the N. E. by Leicestershire, E. by Northamptonshire, S.E. by Oxfordshire, S.W. by Gloucestershire, W. by Worcestershire, and N.W. by Staffordshire. Desc. The surface affords an agreeable alternation of hill and dale, eminently beautiful, and remarkably adapted to the purposes of agriculture. As this is an inland county and free from any great inequalities of surface, the climate is consequently mild, and vegetation early. The soil possesses great variety; and it may safely be asserted that few counties possess less sterile land in proportion to that which rewards the toil of the husbandman readily and abundantly. Rivers. The principal are the Avon, the Tame, the Leam, the Rea, the Stour, the Alne, the Arrow, the Anker, the Blythe, the Swift, the Bourne, the Dene, and the Itchen. The chief medicinal springs are those of Leamington and Newnham-Regis. It has an extensive system of inland navigation, by means of canals. Pro. The crops usually cultivated are wheat, barley, oats, peas, beans, vetches, and turnips, with rye, potatoes, and ﬂax. There are extensive pastures, and the principal woodlands are still to be found in the neighbourhood of its former great forest, in the middle, W., and N. districts, but nearly every part of the county abounds with valuable and ornamental timber. The county is also noted for its grazing and dairy farms. Minerals. Limestone and freestone rock; there are also considerable quarries of blue ﬂagstone. Manf. Important; they comprise hardware, cutlery, and ﬁrearms at Birmingham. Coventry is famous for its ribbons and other kinds of silk, jewellery, and watches. Hats are made at Warwick and Atherstone, and needles and ﬁshhooks are still made at Alcester. Besides these, combs, silk goods, and gauze are made at Kenilworth. Area, 563, 46 acres, or 881 square miles. Pop. 561,855. This county is intersected by numerous canals, by the London and North-Western Railway, and branches of the Midland and Great Western Railways.
Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.
Warwickshire is bounded, North by Staffordshire and Leicestershire, East by Leicestershire, Northamptonshire, and part of Oxfordshire, South by Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire, and West by Gloucestershire, Worcestershire, and Staffordshire. It is about 51 miles long, and 38 miles broad; and is divided into four Hundreds: — Barlichway, Hemlingford, Kineton, and Knightlow, besides the liberties of Coventry. Rivers: — the Avon, the Tame, the Leam, the Rea, the Stour, the Alne, the Arrow, the Anker, the Blythe, the Swift, the Cole, and the Dove. There are 15 Market-Towns. It is in the Province of Canterbury, in the Dioceses of Lichfield and Coventry, and Worcester, and in the Midland Circuit. It contains 9024 square miles, or 577,280 acres. Population, 401,715
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Warwickshire Towns & Villages