Ilmington, Gloucestershire & Warwickshire Family History Guide

Ilmington is an Ancient Parish partly in Gloucestershire and partly in Warwickshire.

Other places in the parish include: Lark-Stoke, Compton-Scorpion, and Foxcote

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin: 1588

Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Ilmington

Historical Descriptions

Ilmington

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ILMINGTON, a village in Warwickshire, and a parish partly also in Gloucestershire, all in the district of Shipston-on-Stour. The village stands 4 miles NW of Shipston-on-Stour, and 4½ NE of Campden r. station; and has a post office under Shipston-on-Stour. The parish contains also the hamlets of Lark-Stoke, Compton-Scorpion, and Foxcote. Acres, 4,000. Real property, of the W. portion, £5,113; of the G. portion, £875. Pop. of the W. portion, 979; of the G. portion, 21. Houses, 217 and 3. The property is much subdivided. Foxcote House is a chief residence. A strong chalybeate spring, formerly in considerable repute, is about ¼ of a mile from the village. The winding of silk, for mills at Campden and Blockley, is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £760. Patron, the Rev. J. Young. The church is ancient, in mixed architecture; and was repaired in 1859. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, a national school, and charities £58.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Ilmington with Compton Scorpion, 4 m. N.W. Shipston-on-Stour. P. 891.

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Ilmington (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Shipston-upon-Stour, partly in the Upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester, but chiefly in a detached part of the Kington division of the hundred of Kington, S. division of the county of Warwick, 4 miles (N. W. by W.) from Shipston; containing 891 inhabitants, of whom 18 are in Gloucestershire, being the hamlet of Lark-Stoke. The parish comprises by computation 3700 acres, and is intersected by the road from Chipping-Campden to Stratford. Stone is quarried for the repairing of roads. Some few of the population are employed in winding silk, manufactured at the mills of Blockley and Campden. A railroad from Stratford to Shipston and Moreton passes through the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's books at £30; net income, £624; patron and incumbent, Rev. E. J. Townsend: the glebe consists of about 420 acres, with a house. There are places of worship for Wesleyans, and a national school. A strong chalybeate sring, about a quarter of a mile to the north-west of the village, was formerly much frequented; the ground around it was given to the public in 1684, by Sir Henry, afterwards Lord, Capel, then lord of the manor, who also inclosed it with a wall, and erected a house for the use of visiters.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Ilmington, co. Warwick.

P. T. Shipston-upon-Stour (83) 4½ m. NW b W. Pop. with Compton Scorpion, 722.

A parish in Kington division of the hundred of Kington, and separated from the rest of the division by a part of Worcestershire; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Worcester; valued in K. B. 30l.; church ded. to St. Mary; patron (1829) the Rev. H. Townsend.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Larkstoke

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Larkstoke, a hamlet in Ilmington parish, Gloucester; 4 ½ miles NE of Chipping-Campden. Acres, 300. Real property, £875. Pop., 21. Houses, 3

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72]

Compton Scorpion

English: Compton Scorpion Farm.
Compton Scorpion Farm. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Compton-Scorpion, a hamlet, in the parish of Ilmington, Kington division of the hundred of Kington, union of Shipston-on-Stour, S. division of the county of Warwick, 3 miles (W.) from Shipston. It is situated in a detached portion of the county, and is bounded on the west by a portion of Gloucestershire, and on the east by a part of Worcestershire.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Marriages Out of Parish

Below is a list of people who were from Ilmington but who were married in another parish.

Henry Cotterell, of Shipston-sup.-Stower, & Anne Rose, of Ilmington, lic. 27 June 1665 at North & Middle Littleton, Worcestershire.

Poll Books

Admington and Lark Stoke, Poll Book 1834 - Google Books

Directories

Lark Stoke Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876

Lark Stoke is a hamlet of Ilmington, Warwickshire, but situated in this county, in Shipston-on-Stour union, containing, by the census of 1861, 21, and in 1871, 13 inhabitants, and 476 acres of land; in the upper division of Kiftsgate hundred, East Gloucestershire. A chapel was formerly in existence here, which is supposed to have been destroyed during the wars in former centuries; and in the Town field is an old font, which is believed to have belonged to it. C. H. Corbett, Esq., owns Upper Stoke, and P. H. Howard, Esq., Lower Stoke. The rateable value of this place is £695.

Hawarden Samuel, farmer

Wilson John Wilson, farmer, Lower Stoke

Letters from Shipston-on-Stour through Ilmington, which is also the nearest money order office.

Source: Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Shipston on Stour
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Kineton
  • Poor Law Union: Shipston on Stour
  • Hundred: Kiftsgate
  • Province: Canterbury