Hatton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire. Beausale is a chapelry of Hatton.
Alternative names: Halton
Other places in the parish include: Halton Hill, Hatton Green, Hatton Hill, Shrewley, and Halton Green.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1613
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HATTON, a village and a parish in the district and county of Warwick. The village stands near the Birmingham and Warwick canal, and the Oxford and Birmingham railway, 3 miles NW by W of Warwick; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Warwick. The parish contains also the hamlets of Beausall and Shrewley. Acres, 4,099. Real property, £8,798. Pop. in 1851, 961; in 1861, 1,259. Houses, 205. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged to Hugh de Hatton, Earl of Warwick; and was given by him to Wroxhall abbey. The county lunatic asylum was recently built here, at a cost of £50,000; is an elegant structure, in a modified Tudor style, with a frontage of 700 feet; stands on a plot of 40 acres, handsomely laid out; possesses accommodation for about 350 patients;.and, at the census of 1861, had 299 inmates. Hatton Hill commands a fine view of the surrounding country. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £250. Patrons, Trustees. The church is in good order; has some striking modern painted glass; and contains a tablet to Dr. Samuel Parr, and many monumental inscriptions from his pen. Parr was long the incumbent of the parish; and a noble room in the parsonage was built by him for a library. An endowed school has £20 a year, and other charities have £100.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Shrewley, a hamlet in the parish of Hatton, county of Warwick; 4 miles west-north-west of Warwick. Here is a daily school. Acreage with the parish. Houses 61. A. P. £1,095. Pop., in 1801, 245; in 1831, 264. Poor rates, in 1838, £54 11s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Warwick
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Warwick
- Poor Law Union: Warwick
- Hundred: Barlinchway
- Province: Canterbury