Halford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Alternative names: Halford Bridge
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1545
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
- Lower Eatington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HALFORD, or HALFORD-BRIDGE, a parish and a subdistrict in Shipston-on-Stour district, Warwick. The parish lies on the river Stour, 4 miles N of Shipston-on-Stour, and 8 NE of Moreton-on-the-Marsh r. station; and its post town is Shipston-on-Stour. Acres, 1,010. Real property, £1,698. Pop., 314. Houses, 77. The property is subdivided. The name was originally Aldford, meaning Oldford; and alluded to a ford here over the Stour. The parish was a meet for the Warwick hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £240. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church was recently restored. The sub-district contains ten parishes. Acres, 21,080. Pop., 3,857. Houses, 907.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Halford, or Halford-Bridge (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Shipston-upon-Stour, Kington division of the hundred of Kington, S. division of the county of Warwick, 4 miles (N.) from Shipston; containing 422 inhabitants. The parish, which is bounded on the west by the river Stour, a tributary of the Avon, and situated on the Roman fosseway which forms part of the road to Warwick, comprises 917 acres: stone of good quality for burning into lime, and for rough building purposes, is quarried. The village stands pleasantly on the road between Shipston and Warwick, and the bridge over the Stour is an ancient structure. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's books at £10. 9. 9½.; net income, £186; patron, Bishop of Worcester. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1774; the glebe comprises 178 acres. The church is of very early date.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Civil Registration District: Shipston on Stour
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Kineton
Poor Law Union: Shipston on Stour