Grendon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Other places in the parish include: Whittlington and Whittington.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1570
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1674
Nonconformists include: General Baptist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Grendon
- Baddesley Ensor
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GRENDON, a parish in Atherstone district, Warwick; on the river Anker, the Coventry canal, and the Trent Valley railway, continuous to Leicestershire, 2½ miles NW by N of Atherstone. It includes Whittington hamlet; and its post town is Atherstone. Acres, 2,360. Real property, £3,172. Pop., 561. Houses, 115. The property is divided among. a few. Grendon Hall, a fine large edifice, mainly rebuilt in 1825, is the seat of Sir George Chetwynd, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £525. Patron, Sir G. Chetwynd, Bart. The church consists of nave, chancel, aisles, and transept, with embattled tower; and is good. Charities, £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Grendon with Whittington, 2 m. N. Atherstone. P. 529.
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Civil Registration District: Atherstone
Probate Court: Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Arden
Poor Law Union: Atherstone