Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St Laurence
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1564
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
Nonconformists include: Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists.
Parishes adjacent to Foleshill
- Foleshill St Paul
- Walsgrave on Sowe
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FOLESHILL, a town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district in Warwick. The town stands adjacent to the Oxford canal and the Coventry and Nuneaton railway, 2½ miles NNE of Coventry; has a station on the railway, and a post office under Coventry; and participates in the ribbon, silk, and other manufactures of Coventry. The parish comprises 2,594 acres. Real property, £23,950; of which £2,437 are in mines. Pop., 8,140. Houses, 1,913. Foleshill Manor House and Foleshill Hall are chief residences. Iron-founding, coal-mining, and brick-making are carried on. Both the head living and another living called St. Paul's are vicarages in the diocese of Worcester. Value of the former, £353; of the latter, £180. Patron of the former, the Lord Chancellor; of the latter, the Vicar of F. The head church was enlarged in 1816; and has an ancient font. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, and two national schools. The sub-district contains also the parish of Exhall and Bedworth, and the hamlet of Keresley. Acres, 7,799. Pop., 15,327. Houses, 3,503. The district includes likewise the sub-district of Sowe, containing the parishes of Sowe, Anstey, Shilton, Withybrook, Wyken, Stoke, and Binley, and the hamlet of Willenhall. Acres, 19,389. Poor-rates in 1862, £11,555. Pop. in 1851, 18,527; in 1861, 19,997. Houses, 4,556. Marriages in 1860, 114; births, 804. of which 54 were illegitimate; deaths, 407, of which 185 were at ages under 5 years, and 14 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1,535; births, 8,161; deaths, 4,880. The places of worship, in 1851, were 12 of the Church of England, with 5, 909 sittings; 6 of Independents, with 2,008 s.; 8 of Baptists, with 2,141 s.; 5 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 818 s.; 6 of Primitive Methodists, with 1,126 s.; and 1 of the Wesleyan Association, with 150 s. The schools were 15 public day schools, with 1,090 scholars; 8 private day schools, with 268 s.; 26 Sunday schools, with 2,074 s.; and 1 evening schools for adults, with 12 s. There are two workhouses in Foleshill, and another in Exhall.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Foleshill, 3 miles N.E. Coventry. P. 7063
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Bushill Serjeant, Foleshill, Coventry, Warwickshire, builder, May 26. 1829.
Eld George, Foleshill, Coventry, miller, Dec. 25, 1838.
Elliott George, Foleshill, Coventry, ribbon manufacturer, Мaу 26, 1829.
Spencer William, Coventry, and Foleshill, ribbon manufacturer, Jan. 26, 1830.
Civil Registration District: Foleshill
Probate Court: Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Coventry
Poor Law Union: Foleshill