Fillongley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Other places in the parish include: Old Fillongley.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1675
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Presbyterian, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Hampton in Arden
- Over Whitacre
- Great Packington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FILLONGLEY, a parish, with a village, in Meriden district, Warwick; near Arley and Fillongley railway station, 6 miles NW by N of Coventry. It has a post office under Coventry. Acres, 4,731. Real property, £9,694. Pop., 1,105. Houses, 247. The property is much subdivided. Old Fillongley belonged to the monks of Coventry; and the rest of the land was given to Robert Dispensator, and passed to the Hastings family.
“Here,” says Dugdale, “were two castles, the one north-east of the church, about one-fourth of a mile, to this day called by the name of Castle-hill; the other southward from the church, scarce half the distance, bearing still the name of Castle-yard, and unto which a park, of very large extent, was attached.” The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £249. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, but good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel. Avery’s charity, for educating and apprenticing poor children, has £231; Green’s school has £12; and other charities have £36.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Shakespear Joseph, Fillongley, Warwickshire, draper, Feb. 10, 1821.
Civil Registration District: Meriden
Probate Court: Pre-1837 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 – Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Arden
Poor Law Union: Meriden