Fenny Compton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Alternative names: Fenny Compton
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1627
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
Nonconformists include: General Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
View Larger Map
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COMPTON (Fenny), a parish in Southam district, Warwick; on the Oxford canal and the Oxford and Rugby railway, 8¾ miles NNW of Banbury. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Rugby. Acres, 2,330. Real property, £3,965. Pop., 639. Houses, 148. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, at Domesday, to the Earl of Mellent; and passed to Sir Simon Montfort, to the Cops, the Spencers, and the Willises. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £417. Patron, Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The church is good; and there are charities £9. Aymer, afterwards Bishop of Winchester, in the time of Henry III., was rector; and Sir H. B. Dudley was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Fenny Compton (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Southam, Burton-Dasset division of the hundred of Kington, S. division of the county of Warwick, 5¾ miles (E. by N.) from Kington; containing 615 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 2077 acres, and contains within its limits some quarries of good building-stone: the Oxford canal passes through it. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's books at £15. 8. 4., and in the patronage of Corpus Christi College, Oxford: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1778; the glebe comprises 412 acres. The church is an ancient structure. A national school is supported by subscription. On the summit of Gredenton Hill, in the parish, are the remains of a British camp, in the form of a horse-shoe, 228 yards in length, defended with six lines of ramparts, between which were fosses round the steep declivity of the hill. Sir Henry Bate Dudley, a comic writer of some note, was born here in 1745.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Roe Thomas, Fenny Compton, Warwickshire, draper and grocer, July 15, 1836.
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Southam
- Probate Court: Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Stonleigh
- Poor Law Union: Southam
- Hundred: Kington
- Province: Canterbury