Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Botolph
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1663
Parishes adjacent to Farnborough
- Fenny Compton
- Avon Dassett
- Claydon with Mollington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FARNBOROUGH, a parish in the district of Banbury and county of Warwick; adjacent to the Oxford and Birmingham railway, and near the Oxford canal, 2 miles SSE of Fenny-Compton r. station, and 6½ ESE of Kington. Post town, Avon-Dassett, under Banbury. Acres, 1,953. Real property, £4,016. Pop., 401. Houses, 85. The property is divided among a few. The manor was known at Domesday as Fernberge; belonged, from the time of Richard I. till that of Edward III., to the Says; and passed first to the Raleighs, afterwards to the Holbecks. The present mansion on it, the seat of W. Holbeck, Esq., is a splendid modern edifice. There is a chalybeate spring, which was anciently called St. Botolph's well. The parish is a meet for the Warwick hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £304. Patron, W. Holbeck, Esq. The church is good. An endowed school has £42; and other charities £8.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
FARNBOROUGH (St. Botolph), a parish, in the union of Banbury, Burton-Dassett division of the hundred of Kington, S. division of the county of Warwick, 6 1/2 miles (E. by N.) from Kington ; containing 367 inhabitants. The parish, situated on the border of Oxfordshire, which bounds it on the east, comprises 1855 acres : there are quarries of stone, chiefly for building cottages. The Oxford canal enters the county near the north boundary of the parish, and the parish is also intersected by the road from Banbury to Southam. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 12.; patron and impropriator, W. Holbech, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for £337, and the vicarial for £54. A school, conducted upon the national system, is endowed with £40 a year.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Civil Registration District: Banbury
Probate Court: Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Stonleigh
Poor Law Union: Banbury