Exhall (near Coventry) is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Other places in the parish include: Newland.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1540
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1663
Parishes adjacent to Exhall
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Exhall, a parish in Foleshill district, Warwick; on Beach brook, near the Coventry canal, and adjacent to the Coventry and Nuneaton railway, 4 1/4 miles N by E of Coventry. It has a station, jointly with Longford, on the railway; and it contains the Foleshill workhouse. Post-town, Longford, under Coventry. Acres, 1,990. Real property, £5,479; of which £500 are in mines. Pop., 964. Houses, 233. The property is divided among a few. Exhall house is a chief residence. Many of the inhabitants are weavers. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £143. Patrons, Lord and Lady Guernsey. The church was, not long ago, repaired and enlarged; and is very good. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Exhall, a parish in the liberties of Coventry, union of Foleshill, county of Warwick; 4¼ miles north- north-east of Coventry, and near the Coventry canal. Living, a vicarage, formerly in the archd. of Coventry and dio. of Lichfield and Coventry, now in the dio. of Worcester; valued at £197; gross income £143. Patroness, in 1835, Mrs. Knightly. Impropriate and vicarial tithes, the property of the lord of the manor and vicar, were commuted in 1761. Here are 2 daily schools. Charities, in 1833, £19 18s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £313 15s. The hand-loom weaving is carried on in this as well as all the other parishes in the liberties of Coventry: in 1818 there were 16 looms, and 31 weavers employed in the ribbon trade. In 1838 the report of the state of the hand-loom weaving in this parish, is mixed up with that in the parish of Foleshill — which see— and Coventry. Houses 192. Acres 1,750. A. P. £3,071. Pop., in 1801, 694; in 1831, 840.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Exhall, 4 miles N. Coventry. P.936
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Foleshill
- Probate Court: Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester
- (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Coventry
- Poor Law Union: Foleshill
- Hundred: Knightlow
- Province: Canterbury