Edgbaston Warwickshire Family History Guide

Edgbaston comprises of the following parishes:

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

EDGBASTON, a suburb, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district of Kings Norton and county of Warwick. The suburb adjoins Birmingham; forms the west end of that town; lies on the Birmingham canal, adjacent to the Stour Valley railway; and has a station on the railway and two post offices, of the names of Bristol-Road and Hagley-Road, under Birmingham. It comprises fine streets, elegant terraces, numerous villas, and ornamental walks; presents aspects of beauty and picturesqueness in striking contrast to the old parts of Birmingham; and contains a manorial hall, three churches, botanic gardens, and institutions for the deaf and blind. The hall stands in a small but ornate park, formerly open to the public; was once the seat of the lords of the manor; was garrisoned by the parliamentarians during the civil war; was burned by a mob at the Revolution; and was re-erected by Sir Richard Gough. The parish church stands close to the park; dates from very ancient times; suffered demolition in the time of the Commonwealth; has a pinnacled square tower, the lower part of which belonged to the ancient edifice; was rebuilt after the Restoration, and again in 1810; and was repaired in 1843, and again repaired and enlarged in 1856. St. George's church stands in Calthorpe-street; is in the early English style; and was built in 1838, and enlarged in 1856. St. James' church stands near Elvetham-road; is cruciform, with a tower; and was built in 1852, at a cost of about £6,000. The parish comprises 2,545 acres. Real property, £95,328. Pop. in 1851, 9,269; in 1861, 12,907. Houses, 2,292. The property is not much divided. The manor belonged formerly to the Middlemores, and belongs now to Lord Calthorpe. The parochial living is a vicarage, and the livings of St. George, St. Augustine, and St. James are p. curacies in the diocese of Worcester. Value of the first, £542; of the second, £350; of the other two, not reported. Patron of the first three, Lord Calthorpe; of St. A., the Bishop. Charities, £11. The sub-district includes also Northfield.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Foresters’ Guide to Birmingham and Its Neighbourhood 1883

“Egbald’s ton” is the “west end” of Birmingham, and is an exceedingly pleasant suburb. The objects of interest are Edgbaston Hall, and the Parish Church, a charming and delightful example of an old country church. It is almost covered with ivy, has a short square tower with four pinnacles; the roof is open timbered, ceiled between the rafters. There are three other churches, all good: St. Georges, Calthorpe Road; St. James’s, Charlotte Road; and St. Augustine’s, Hagley Road. The Angell James Jubilee Chapel, Francis Road, and the Botanical Gardens, Westbourne Road, have previously been described. The excellent Middle School of King Edward the VI.’s foundation is in the Hagley Road. The Oratory of St. Philip Neri, founded by and so intimately associated with Cardinal Newman, is also in the Hagley Road.

Source: The Foresters’ Guide to Birmingham and Its Neighbourhood. Presented by the Demonstration Committee to the Delegates In High Court Meeting, Assembled in Birmingham, August, 1883.Specially Prepared For the Occasion by John Alfred Langford, LL.D; F.R.H.S. Birmingham: James Upton, Baskerville Printing Works, Great Charles Street. 1883


Bagnall Edward, Edgbaston, Warwickshire, ironmaster, July 29, 1834.

Baldwin John, Edgbaston, Birmingham, wire drawer, Oct. 12, 1841.

Benson Cornelius, Edgbaston, Birmingham, solicitor & metal manuf. Dec. 8, 1840.

Bradbury James, Edgbaston, & Birmingham, druggist & grocer, April 14, 1840.

Parker Thomas Lane, Edgbaston, Warwickshire, coal merchant, April 12, 1839.

Rolfe William, Edgbaston, Warwickshire, grocer, Feb. l, 1828.

Sheppard John, Edgbaston, Birmingham, plated ware manuftr., Oct. 29, 1839.

Sumner Joseph, Edgbaston. Birmingham, carpenter, March 24, 1837.

Source: Extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.


Vision of Britain historical maps