Duddeston cum Nechells is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Warwickshire, created in 1842 from Aston juxta Birmingham Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Nechells.
Alternative names: Duddeston
Parish registers begin: 1544
Parishes adjacent to Duddeston cum Nechells
- Birmingham St Peter
- Birmingham St Stephen
- Aston juxta Birmingham
- Bordesley Holy Trinity
- Birmingham St Bartholomew
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DUDDESTON-CUM-NECHELLS, a hamlet, a sub-district, and two chapelries in Aston parish and district, Warwick. The hamlet and sub-district are co-extensive; form the northeastern portion of the borough of Birmingham; contain streets and outskirts of the borough; and lie on the line of the Northwestern railway. Acres, 936. Pop. in 1841, 20, 079; in 1861, 38, 760. Houses, 7, 835. The chapelries are Duddeston and Nechells, or St. Matthew and St. Clement; and the former was constituted in 1842, the latter in 1860. Pop., 18, 693 and 6, 675. Houses, 3, 792 and 1, 382. The livings are vicarages in the diocese of Worcester. Value of St. Matthew, £300; of St. Clement, £300. Patrons of St. Matthew, Trustees; of St. Clement, the Incumbent of St. Matthew. The church of St. Matthew was the seat of the Ash family; and that of St. Clement is a structure of 1859, in the geometric decorated style, comprising nave, chancel, south aisles, tower, and vestry, and raised at a cost of about £4,000
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
St. Matthew's Church, Gt. Lister Street
St. Matthew's Church, Gt. Lister Street, Duddeston-cum-Nechells, Aston parish, is a handsome brick structure, in the Gothic style, with lancet windows, a tower and spire, and was built by the Birmingham Church Building Society, formed in 1838-9 to build ten churches, at a cost of £3,200, and consecrated October 20th, 1840. It has a district of about 11,000 souls assigned to it. The living, a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of trustees. Rev. George W. Chamberlain, M.A., incumbent.
The Parsonage, a neat residence, is near the church.
Source: History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Warwickshire; Francis White & Co.; 1850.
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Aston
- Probate Court: Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Arden
- Poor Law Union: Aston
- Hundred: Birmingham Borough; Hemlingford
- Province: Canterbury