Compton Wynyates is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Alternative names: Compton in the Hole, Compton Wyniates
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1683
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1826
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COMPTON-WYNIATES, a parish in Shipston-on-Stour district, Warwick; at the boundary with Oxford, 4½ miles ENE of Shipston-on-Stour, and 9 W by N of Banbury r. station. Post town, Tysoe, under Warwick. Acres, 997. Real property, £1,424. Pop., 37. Houses, 6. The property has all belonged, from a remote period, to the Comptons, now represented by the Marquis of Northampton; and it gives to the Marquis the title of Earl. Compton House, a seat of the Marquis, is a picturesque edifice of the time of Henry VIII., built then out of the ruins of Fulbrooke Castle; eventually much altered and defaced by additions and neglect; and it recently was grandly restored, under the superintendence of Wyatt. It sits so hiddenly in an abrupt hill-screened hollow, as to have, till recently, been popularly called Compton-in-the-Hole. The living is a rectory, annexed to the vicarage of Tysoe, in the diocese of Worcester. The church was destroyed in the civil war, and rebuilt after the Restoration; and has been the burial-place of several of the Compton family.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Compton-Wyniates, a parish, in the union of Shipston-upon-Stour, Brails division of the hundred of Kington, S. division of the county of Warwick, 5¼ miles (E. by N.) from Shipston; containing 46 inhabitants, and comprising 988 acres. The parish is situated on the border of Oxfordshire, which bounds it on the east. The living is a rectory, united to the vicarage of Tysoe, and valued in the King's books at £10. Of the manor-house, built by Sir William Compton, in the reign of Henry VIII., and visited by that monarch, there are some curious remains. Spencer Compton, the second earl of Northampton, and one of the most zealous adherents to Charles I., resided in this house, which was garrisoned by some parliamentary troops in 1646, in which year the church was destroyed.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Civil Registration District: Shipston on Stour
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Kineton
Poor Law Union: Shipston on Stour