Status: Extra-parochial; Civil Parish after 1858
Alternative names: Combe Abbey, Comb Abbey
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: see surrounding parishes
- Bishop’s Transcripts: see surrounding parishes
- Walsgrave on Sowe
- Monks Kirby
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COMBE-FIELDS, or Combe-Abbey, a quondam extra-parochial tract, now a parish, in Rugby district, Warwick; near the Oxford canal and the Fosse way, 3½ miles WSW of Stretton r. station, and 5 E of Coventry. Post town, Brinklow, under Coventry. Acres, 4,210. Real property, £6,167. Pop., 177. Houses, 37. A Cistertian abbey was founded here in 1150, by Richard de Camville; was given, at the dissolution, to the Earl of Warwick; and passed to Robert Kelway, Lord Harrington, and to the ancestor of the Earl of Craven. Combe-Abbey mansion, the Earl of Craven s seat, was built on the abbey-ruins by Lord Harrington; has undergone changes and extensions; retains parts of the ancient cloisters, in Norman architecture; exhibits mainly Tudor features; includes a front, said to be after a design by Inigo Jones; stands in a park of about 500 acres; and Contains a rich collection of pictures.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Ivens Martin, Comb-fields, Warwickshire, sheep salesman, Sept. 18, 1827.
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Civil Registration District: Rugby
Probate Court: see surrounding parishes
Diocese: Not Applicable
Rural Deanery: Not Applicable
Poor Law Union: Rugby