Claydon with Mollington Oxfordshire & Warwickshire Family History Guide

Claydon with Mollington is an Ecclesiastical Parish partly in Oxfordshire and partly in Warwickshire; Created in 1851 from Claydon chapelry (Oxfordshire) and Mollington chapelry (Oxfordshire) in Cropredy Ancient Parish. 

Alternative names: Claydon

Other places in the parish include: Mollington. 

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1569
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605-1617; 1663

Separate registers exist for Mollington:

  • Parish registers: 1562
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1664

Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.

Adjacent Parishes

  • Shottswell
  • Warmington
  • Farnborough
  • Cropredy
  • Prescote
  • Aston le Walls
  • Clattercot
  • Wormleighton
  • Boddington

Historical Descriptions

Claydon

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CLAYDON, a chapelry in Cropredy parish, Oxford; on the Oxford canal and the Oxford and Rugby railway, at the northern apex of the county, 2½ miles N by W of Cropredy r. station, and 6½ N of Banbury. Post town, Cropredy, under Banbury. Acres, 1,160. Real property, £2, 349. Pop., 317. Houses, 76. Blue has rocks are here, with fossils. Claydon Wood is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £125. Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church is ancient; and there is a Primitive Methodist chapel.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Mollington

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

MOLLINGTON, a chapelry in the parish of Cropredy and counties of Oxford and Warwick; 1 ¾ mile NW of Cropredy r. station, and 4¾ N by W of Banbury. Post-town, Cropredy, under Banbury. Acres of the Oxford portion, 1,200. Real property, £2,377. Pop., 234. Houses, 53. Acres of the Warwick portion, 620. Pop., 138. Houses, 34. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £120. Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church is early English; comprises N aisle and chancel, with a tower; and was recently restored. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, an apprenticing fund, and a small charity.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Warwickshire
Civil Registration District: Banbury
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of Banbury, Court of the Peculiar of Aylesbury
Diocese: Oxford
Rural Deanery: Deddington
Poor Law Union: Banbury
Hundred: Kington
Province: Canterbury