Chesterton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Alternative names: Chesterton and Kingston, Chesterton and Kington Otherwise Little Chesterton, Little Chesterton
Other places in the parish include: Great Chesterton, Kingston, Little Chesterton, and Chesterton Parva.
Status: Ancient Parish succeeded by Chesterton Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish church: St Giles
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
Parishes adjacent to Chesterton
- Newbold Pacey
- Bishops Tachbrook
- Bishops Itchington
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
CHESTERTON, a parish in Southam district, Warwick; on the Fosse way, and on an affluent of the river Avon, 1 ¾ mile SW of Harbury r. station, and 4 ½ SW by S of Southam. It includes Kingston hamlet; and its post-town is Harbury, under Rugby. Acres, 3,510. Real property, £4,189. Pop., 217. Houses, 42. The manor belonged, from the time of Edward II. till that of Henry VIII., to the family of Peyto; and belongs now to Lord Willoughby de Broke. The manor-house was built in the time of Edward IV.; enlarged, in 1630, after designs by Inigo Jones; and demolished in 1802. A large windmill, of circular form, on six arches, designed by Inigo Jones, surmounts an eminence near the church. A Roman camp, supposed by some to have been the Roman station Mediolanum, is within the parish on the Fosse way; and has yielded Roman coins. Chesterton wood is a meet for the Warwick hounds. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £82. Patron, Lord Willoughby de Broke. The church is ancient; and contains three fine monuments of the Peyto family. Lord Cobham, the famous Wickliffite, found shelter with the incumbent in Henry V.'s time; and Cardinal Peyto, the Pope's legate in the reign of Mary, was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].Chesterton Windmill. Built in 1632 by DeFacto. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International license.
Civil Registration District: Southam
Probate Court: Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Stonleigh
Poor Law Union: Southam