Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Cherrington
Parish church: St. John the Baptist
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Parishes adjacent to Cherington
- Sutton Under Brailes
- Long Compton
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
CHERINGTON, a parish in Shipston-on-Stour district, Warwick; on the river Stour, 3 ½ miles SE of Shipston-on-Stour, and 6 E by N of Moreton r. station. It has a post-office under Shipston-on-Stour. Acres, 890. Real property, £1,965. Pop., 311. Houses, 77. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, in the time of Henry III., to Ralph de Wylington; and passed, in the time of Edward III., to the Lucys. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £259. Patron, D. Turner, Esq. The church is very good; and has a tower.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Shipston on Stour
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Kineton
Poor Law Union: Shipston on Stour