Brownsover Warwickshire Family History Guide

Status: Chapelry

Parish: Clifton-on-Dunsmore

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1593; see also Clifton upon Dunsmore
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1663

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BROWNSOVER, a township-chapelry in Clifton-on-Dunsmore parish, Warwick; on the Oxford canal, adjacent to the Midland and the Northwestern railways, 2 miles N by E of Rugby. Post Town, Rugby. Acres, 872. Real property, £2,300. Pop., 71. Houses, 14. Brownsover House is the seat of the Leighs. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Clifton-on-Dunsmore, in the diocese of Worcester. Laurence Sheriff, the founder of Rugby school, was a native.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch - Birth Marriage & Death Census Migration & Naturalization Military Probate & Court

Newspapers

Rugby Advertiser Newspaper

Coventry Evening Telegraph

Coventry Herald

Coventry Standard

Coventry Times

Leamington Advertiser, and Beck’s List of Visitors

Leamington Spa Courier

Leamington, Warwick, Kenilworth & District Daily Circular

Nuneaton Advertiser

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Warwickshire
  • Civil Registration District: Rugby
  • Probate Court: Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Marton
  • Poor Law Union: Rugby
  • Hundred: Knightlow
  • Province: Canterbury