Bordesley, Warwickshire Family History

Bordesley comprises of the following parishes:

  • Bordesley Holy Trinity
  • Bordesley St Andrew

Bordesley Holy Trinity

Bordesley Holy Trinity is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Warwickshire, created in 1848 from Aston juxta Birmingham Ancient Parish.

Parish church: Holy Trinity

Parish registers begin: 1823

Nonconformists include: Presbyterian

Parishes adjacent to Bordesley Holy Trinity

Administration

  • County: Warwickshire
  • Civil Registration District: Aston
  • Probate Court: Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Arden
  • Poor Law Union: Aston
  • Hundred: Birmingham Borough
  • Province: Canterbury

Bordesley St. Andrew

Bordesley St Andrew is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Warwickshire, created in 1846 from Bordesley Holy Trinity Ecclesiastical Parish.

Parish church: St Andrew

Parish registers begin: 1823

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Bordesley St. Andrew

Historical Descriptions

St. Andrew's Parish Church Directory of Warwickshire 1850

St. Andrew's Parish Church. Bordesley. A parish formed in 1846, under the Act of Parliament designated Sir Robert Peel's Act, and was the fifth church built by the Birmingham Church Building Society, formed for the erection of ten. The church was consecrated September 30th, 1846, and cost £3,500. It consists of a nave, (86 feet,) a chancel, (38 feet,) and a north aisle. A vestry adjoins the chancel on the north and a porch on the south of the nave, added by the parishioners, who also added an organ at the cost of £260, a sweet-toned instrument, built by Banfield, it contains 18 stops and about 900 pipes. The gable has a fine light window at the west end, which with the bold tower and spire at the north west angle, has a pleasing effect. It is built of red sandstone, from a design by R. Carpenter, Esq., and is a correct specimen of the second pointed English architecture. The living is a Perpetual Curacy of the value of £150 per annum, with the pew rents, and is in the alternate patronage of the Bishop of Worcester and five Trustees; the Bishop and the Vicar of Aston always to be two of those Trustees. The Rev. David Brown Moore, incumbent.

Source: History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Warwickshire; Francis White & Co.; 1850.

Administration

  • County: Warwickshire
  • Civil Registration District: Aston
  • Probate Court: Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory), Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Arden
  • Poor Law Union: Aston
  • Hundred: Birmingham Borough
  • Province: Canterbury

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BORDESLEY, a hamlet in Aston parish, Warwick; within the south-eastern part of the town and borough of Birmingham. It contains the Birmingham stations of the Birmingham and Oxford and the Birmingham and Wolverhampton railways; and is traversed by those railways and by the Birmingham and Warwick canal. Acres, with Deritend, 1,690. Real property, £90,544. Pop. in 1851, 13,857; in 1861, 21,339. Houses, 4,418. Camp Hill here, contiguous to the canal and the Gloucester railway, was the scene of Prince Rupert's battle with the townsmen of Birmingham; and Bordesley Hall, near this, was burnt by the rioters in 1791. Streets and other thoroughfares are contiguous; and share in the general character and business of the town. Two chapelries, Holy Trinity and St. Andrew, are in B.; the former a p. curacy, the later a vicarage, in the dio. of Worcester. Value of Holy Trinity, £300; of St. Andrew, £320. Patron of Holy Trinity, the Vicar of Aston; of St. Andrew, alternately the Bishop and five trustees. Holy Trinity church was built in 1822, at a cost of £14,235; is a fine Gothic edifice, faced with stone; and has a grand eastern window and a beautiful altar-piece. St. Andrew's church was built in 1844, at a cost of upwards of £4,000; is in the early decorated style; and consists of nave, spacious chancel, and north aisle, with tower and spire.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Bordesley, a chapelry in the parish of Aston, forming part of the town of Birmingham. See Aston, Warwickshire.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

England’s Gazetteer 1752

Bordesley, (Warw.) originally a member of Aston, and the estate of the ancient family of the Paganets; from whom it descended to the Someries, Barons of Dudley, who had a court-leet here, to which the adjoining hamlets paid rents and service. It afterwards came, by marriage, to Sir Hugh Burnel; and from his family to the Lady Abergavenny, who gave it to her son, by her last husband, James, E. of Ormond, who being attainted in the R. of Edw. IV. it fell to that K. He gave it to Sir Thomas Erdington; but Sir Thomas Ormond by fine recovered the inheritance of it, and left it to his heiress Ann, married to Sir James St. Leger, whose grandson sold it, in the R. of Q. Eliz. to Ed. Arden, Esq; of Park-Hall, whose posterity enjoyed it in 1640.

Source: England’s Gazetteer; Stephen Whatley; 1752.

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Burton William and Charles, Bordesley and Digbeth, Birmingham, steel-toy and brass and iron-bedstead manufacturers, June 1, 1841.

Cole Viney, Bordesley, Warwickshire, victualler, July 8, 1831.

Faux Richard, Bordesley, Warwickshire, hop merchant, July 12, 1831.

Hiley John, Bordesley, Birmingham, builder, May 4, 1838.

Hooton Richard; Richard Richards; and William Wilks; Bordesley, Warwickshire, ironfounders, Aug. 16, 1825.

Hutchinson George, Bordesley, Warwickshire, dealer, March 11, 1826.

Minshull Charles, Bordesley, Aston, Birmingham, builder, April 8, 1828.

Moore Dan., Bordesley lron Works, near Birmingham, ironmaster, May 18, 1822.

Prosser Walter, Bordesley, Birmingham, builder, March 11, 1836.

Tonks George, sen.; Stephen Tonks; and George Tonks, jun. ; Bordesley, Birmingham, lamp manufacturers, June 5, 1835.

Directories

Bordesley Birmingham 1777

Bentley, Thomas
Brooks, John
Cotterell, Isaac
Freeth, Benjamin
Kendall, Joseph
Lawrence, Wm.
Neeld, Widow
Phillips, J.
Ward, William
Watton, Thomas
Watton, John
Chamberlain, Thomas
Greaves, Joseph
Hill, Benjamin
Palmer, Sarah
Rhoades, Henry
Rock, John
Smallwood, George

Source: Birmingham 120 Years Ago. Being a Reprint of an old Directory, published in 1777. Scarse, Charles E. (Compiler & Editor). Printed Birmingham for Cornish Brothers, New Street, 1896.