Bishops Tachbrook Warwickshire Family History Guide

St Chad's parish church, Mallory Road, Bishop's Tachbrook, Warwickshire
St Chad's parish church, Mallory Road, Bishop's Tachbrook, Warwickshire. David Stowell / Bishop's Tachbrook / CC BY-SA 2.0


Bishops Tachbrook is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.

Other places in the parish include: Tachbrook Mallory, Mallory Tachbrook, and The Asps.

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: St. Chad

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1538
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1666

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Bishops Tachbrook

  • Barford
  • Newbold Pacey
  • Whitnash
  • Warwick St Paul
  • Chesterton
  • Warwick St Nicholas
  • Wasperton

Historical Descriptions

Bishops Tachbrook

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BISHOPS-TACHBROOK, a parish in the district and county of Warwick; on an affluent of the river Avon, near the Fosse way, 2¼ miles SW of Leamington r. station, and 3½ SE of Warwick. It includes the hamlet of Tachbrook-Mallory and a place called the Asps; and its Post Town is Whitnash, under Leamington. Acres, 3,446. Real property, £4,413. Pop., 603. Houses, 140. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £343, Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church shows Norman traces, and contains some fine monuments. A school has an endowed income of £40, and other charities £5.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Bishop's Tachbrook
Bishop's Tachbrook. Village Post Office and attached residence, showing the half-timbered architecture prevalent throughout the village. The copyright on this image is owned by David Stowell and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

Tachbrook, Bishop’s (St. Chad), a parish, in the union of Warwick, partly in the Kenilworth division of the hundred of Knightlow, but chiefly in the Warwick division of the hundred of Kington, S. division of the county of Warwick, 3 miles (SE) from Warwick; containing 723 inhabitants, of whom 648 are in the township. The parish comprises by computation 3200 acres, of which the surface is boldly undulated, and the soil in general a strong clayey earth, forming good corn land. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £5. 13. 4.; net income, £293; patron, the Bishop of Lichfield; appropriator, the Prebendary of Tachbrook in the Cathedral: there are about 4 acres of glebe. A school, erected in 1771, is endowed with £39 per annum.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Warwickshire Delineated 1820

Bishop's Tachbrook, a large, scattered, but retired village, is about three miles from Warwick and two from Leamington. The distinctive appellation of Bishop's, is derived from the circumstance of this place having been in possession of the Bishops of Coventry and Lichfield at the Norman conquest.

The church at this place is a handsome ancient edifice, in the Saxon or early Norman style of architecture, and consists of a nave, two aisles, and a chancel. At the west end of the church is a square tower, and at its east end an ancient cross. The interior is very neatly fitted up, and in the chancel are three fine monuments, richly ornamented, erected to the memory of different branches of the Wagstaffe family. The church also contains many other monumental records.

Source: Warwickshire Delineated; Francis Smith; Second Edition; 1820

Tachbrook Mallory

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Tachbrook-Mallory, a hamlet in Bishops-Tachbrook parish, Warwickshire; 2 ½ miles E by S of Warwick. Real property, £2,071. Pop., 63. Houses, 9.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Tachbrook-Mallory, a hamlet, in the parish of Bishop’s-Tachbrook, union of Warwick, Kenilworth division of the hundred of Knightlow, S. division of the county of Warwick, 3 ½ miles (SE by E) from Warwick; containing 75 inhabitants, and comprising 942 acres.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Warwickshire Delineated 1820

At Tachbrook Mallory, a hamlet in the parish of Bishop's Tachbrook, is an ancient manor house, formerly the residence of the Wagstaffe family, to whom the manor belonged. It has lately been purchased by the Earl of Warwick, and his noble mother, the Dowager Countess, now resides at the manor house.

Source: Warwickshire Delineated; Francis Smith; Second Edition; 1820

Family History Links

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Warwickshire
  • Civil Registration District: Warwick
  • Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Prebend of Bishop's Tachbrook
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Stonleigh
  • Poor Law Union: Warwick
  • Hundred: Kington; Knightlow
  • Province: Canterbury

Further Reading

Bishop's Tachbrook Past And Present by Jeannette (editor) Oubridge

Ancestral Trails (Second Edition): The Complete Guide to British Genealogy and Family History by Mark D Herber