Bidford on Avon, Warwickshire Family History Guide

Bidford on Avon is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.

Other places in the parish include: Broom, Barton, and Marlcliff

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1644

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Fairs: April 11, September 10

Table of Contents

Parishes adjacent to Bidford on Avon

Historical Descriptions

Bidford

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BIDFORD, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Alcester, Warwick. The village stands on the river Avon, 3¾ miles SSE of Alcester r. station, and 7 WSW of Stratford-on-Avon; and has a post office under Bromsgrove. It was once a market town; and it consists chiefly of one long street.

One of the houses in it was the old Falcon inn, traditionally said to have been a haunt of Shakspeare, for drinking ale and playing at shovel-board. An absurd story is current that the poet and some of his companions engaged here in a drinking contest with a party of the natives; that he and his companions lay down after it under a crab-tree in the neighbourhood, and slept there from Saturday evening till Monday morning; and that, being urged on awakening to go back and renew the contest, he exclaimed, "No, I have had enough; I have drinked with

'Piping Pebworth, dancing Marston,
Haunted Hilbro', hungry Grafton,
Dudging Exhall, papish Wicksford,
Beggarly Broom, and drunken Bidford.

The parish includes also the hamlets of Barton, Broom. and Marlcliff. Acres, 3,240. Real property, £8,167. Pop., 1,565. Houses, 370. The manor was held by William the Conqueror; was given, by the Empress Maud, to the monks of Bardsley; and passed to the Clarkes, the Danets, and the Skipwiths. Bidford Grango House was a picturesque old edifice, with unequal gables. The scenery, over much of the surface, is richly beautiful; and has fine spots on "the smooth-flowing Avon." Blue flagstone is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £213. Patron, the Rev. T. Boultbee. The church was mainly rebuilt in 1835; and is in the Norman style, with a tower. There are two Methodist chapels, a working-men's institute, a national school, and charities £107. The subdistrict comprises four parishes. Acres, 9,280. Pop., 2,749. Houses, 643.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Bidford, 4 miles S. Alcester. P. 1567

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Barton

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Barton, 1 mile S.E. Bidford. P. incl. therein.

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Marriages Out of Parish

Below is a list of people who were from Bidford-on-Avon but who were married in another parish.

John Slater, of Biddford, & Isabell Cox, of Mid. Lit., lic. 27 Nov. 1662 at North & Middle Littleton, Worcestershire.

Thomas Harrison, of Biddford & Francis Johns, of N. L. 8 Dec. 1666 at North & Middle Littleton, Worcestershire.

Jamys, a godson of the parysh of Bydford, & Margery Pyrry … … 3 Aug. 1555 at South Littleton, Worcestershire.

William Harward, of Bidford, & Eliz. Restal, of S. L. 24 Nov. 1730 at South Littleton, Worcestershire.

William Harward, of Bidford, Warwickshire, b., & Sarah Careless, of S. L., s., lic. 12 Jan. 1786 at South Littleton, Worcestershire.

George Hunt, of Bidford, co. Warwick, b., & Jane Allchurch, of S. L., s. 25 Dec. 1802 at South Littleton, Worcestershire.

Poll Books

Bidford Poll Book 1868

Below are the names of those that voted in the South Warwickshire Election, 1868.

Bidford

140 Adkins, John, the younger

141 Ashwin, Manley

142 Bagshaw, Arthur

143 Bennett, William

144 Bicknell, Charles Frederick

145 Boultbee, Thomas, Rev.

146 Brown, William

147 Candy, Rev. Charles

148 Chare, Henry

149 Close, John

150 Collett, John

151 Cooke, Thomas

152 Crowther, Henry Edward

153 Crowther, Clement

154 Davison, John

155 Eden, John

156 Edkins, Henry

157 Ellis, James

158 Fluck, John

159 Fosbroke, William

160 Fosbroke, George Haynes

161 Harward, William

162 Harvard, Matthew

163

164 Hemming, William

165 Hemus, John

166 Hendley, George

167 Hodges, Thomas

168 Hodges, John Payne

169 Houghton, John

170 Holland, John

171 Huband, Thomas

172 Hughes, James

173 Hunt, Solomon

174 Jackson, Thomas

175 Jones, Charles, Rev.

176

177 Mason, Richard

178 Matthews, Joseph

179 May, William

180 Milward, James

181 Milward, Robert

182 Mills, Joseph

183 Mills, James

184 Mills, William

185

180 Quiney, John

187 Richards, Joseph Walker

188 Ricketts, Thomas

189 Robbins, Francis

190 Robbins, Francis

191 Shakle, John

192 Sheaf, Thomas

193 Sheffield, George

194 Slatter, Jonathan

195 Sidebottom, James

196

197 Smith, Thomas

198 Smith, John William

199 Smith, John Allen

200 Smith, William

201 Stubbs, William

202 Tipping, William

203 Timms, John

201 Trenfield, John

205 Upton, Edward

206 Vincent, John

207 Wadley, Thomas

208 Wakefield, William

209 Wall, John Walker

210 Wilcox, Thomas

211 Wilkes, Alexander

212 Woodward, William, Rev.

List 2.

213 Ainge, Frederick

214 Banks, Thomas

215 Brotheridge, William

216 Cooper, George

217 Churchley, William

218 Dunn, Uriah

219 Gardner, George

220 Hirst, George

221 Lane, John

222 Toole, George

223 Russell, William

224 Stanton, John

225 Stanley, Richard

226 Trenfield, Thomas

Total 15 15 54 54

Source: Poll Book, South Warwickshire Election, 1868: H Mills. Printed and Sold by H. T. Cooke and Son, High Street, Warwick; 1869

Directories

Bidford Bennett's Business Directory for Warwickshire, 1914

Bidford or Bitford Universal Directory 1791

Was incorporated by Queen Elizabeth, and held two fairs, one on the 6th of May for cattle, &c. the other for cattle, hiring servants, &c. and a market on Friday.  It is situated on the bank of the river Avon, seven miles from Evesham, seven from Stratford, fifteen from Warwick, eighteen from Worcester, nine from Campden, four from Alcester, and one hundred from London.
The manor belongs to Lady Skipworth, who holds a court-leet, by her deputy, once a year.  The place was formerly considerable, but is now much reduced. – The following are the principal inhabitants:

Gentry, &c.
Rhodes William, Gent.
Slatter Thomas, sen. Gent. (F.)
Slatter Thomas, jun. Gent. (F.)
Wilks Edward, Gent. (F.)
Walford John, Esq. (F.)

Clergy.
Holyoak Rev. Henry, Vicar

Law.
Harbidge William, (F.) Attorney & Bailiff of the Corporation

Traders, &c.
Ashwin Manly, Farmer
Backer Robert, (F.) Cooper and Victualler (Bull’s Head)
Biddle Henry, Farmer and Maltster
Biddle George, Shopkeeper
Bossward John, Carpenter
Bossward John, Peruke-maker
Beezeley Samuel, Chandler
Butler James, Butcher
Bowler Ellin and Margaret, Governesses
Chamberlaine John, Cordwainer
Chare Thomas, (F.) Farmer
Edkins John, Stone-mason
Edkins Henry, Butcher and Shopkeeper
Elvens John, Stone-mason
Evans Edward, Stone-cutter
Gardner George, Fisherman
Gardner Luke, Net-maker & Fisherman
Gray Thomas, Linen-weaver
Haines Nathaniel, (F.) Wheelwright
Hale Thomas, Carpenter
Hale John, Cordwainer
Hatton James, Fishmonger
Helthon Thomas, Carpenter
Hemming John, Taylor
Hemming Thomas, Farmer
Hemming William, Farmer
Hodges John, Farmer
Honton George, Stone-cutter
Hurst George, (F.) Farmer
Hurst Henry, Farmer
Hurst John, (F.) Farmer
Jones John, (F.) Taylor
Jones William, Carpenter
Nicknolds Thomas, Taylor
Oakes Elizabeth, School-mistress
Oakes Job, Sunday-school Master
Osborn Edward, Blacksmith
Osborn John, sen. Farmer
Osborn John, (F.) Farmer and Miller
Osborn Mark, (F.) Soap-boiler, Chandler, and Grocer
Osborn William, Blacksmith
Owin Richard, Bricklayer
Popplewell Mary, Shopkeeper
Price John, Stone-mason
Quiney John, sen. (F.) Farmer, Maltster, and Victualler (Malt Shovel)
Quiney John, Baker
Redding John, Wheelwright
Rhodes Richard, Farmer
Roper Henry, Carrier and Waggoner
Rushell John, (F.) Maltster
Rushell Thomas, Gardener
Sale Ann, Manuta-maker
Sale John, Cordwainer, Parish Clerk, & Victualler (Boot)
Sale Thomas, (F.) Cordwainer, Maltster, & Victualler (White Hart)
Sale William, Shoemaker
Scriven Richard, Stay-maker
Sheaff Rich. (F.) Weaver & Bleacher
Sheaff Samuel, Farmer
Smith Thomas, Maltster
Stanley John, Carpenter
Tomes Elizabeth and Benjamin, Sadlers and Collar-makers
Tomes Eliz. Victualler (White Lion)
Turbyfield Robert, Brick-maker
Wadley William, Farmer
Walford Thomas, (F.) Chandler
Warmington Joseph, Bricklayer
Wheeler William, Miller and Baker
Wilkes Job, Stone-mason
Wilkes John, (F.) Stone-mason and Victualler (Apothecaries Arms)
Wilkes John, Stone-mason
Wilkes Joseph, sen. Victualler
Wilkes Joseph, jun. Stone-mason
Wilkes Paul, Stone-mason
Wilkes Solomon, (F.) Stone-mason

Source: Universal British Directory 1791

Administration

  • County: Warwickshire
  • Civil Registration District: Alcester
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Warwick
  • Poor Law Union: Alcester
  • Hundred: Barlinchway
  • Province: Canterbury