Bedworth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Other places in the parish include: Collycroft and Colly Croft.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Particular Baptist, Presbyterian, Primitive Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Fairs: April 6, May 30, August 251
Parishes adjacent to Bedworth
- Chilvers Coton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BEDWORTH, a town and a parish in Foleshill district, Warwick. The town stands adjacent to the Coventry canal and the Coventry and Nuneaton railway, 3½ miles S of Nuneaton; and has a station on the railway, a post office under Nuneaton, and two chief inns. It carries on a manufacture of gauze ribbons, and a large trade in coals, lime, and bricks; and has a fair on Whit wednesday. Pop., 3,968. Houses, 888. The parish comprises 2,157 acres. Real property, £15,345; of which £2,700 are in mines. Pop., 5,656. Houses, 1,239. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £562. Patron, the Lord of the Manor. The church is a modern edifice with square embattled tower; and was enlarged in 1850. There are three dissenting chapels, two free schools, and very extensive alms-houses; the last in the form of three sides of a cloistered quadrangle, in later Gothic, built in 1840, at a cost of £8,500. The almshouses have £1,176 of income, and other charities £20.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Bedworth, 5 m. N. Coventry. P. 4253
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Cougreve Henry; and Richard Hill, jun.; Bedworth and Coventry, and Wood street, Cheapside, silk and ribbon manufacturers, March 25, 1826.
Eyre George, Coventry, and Bedworth, ribbon manufacturer, Oct. 23, 1829.
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Foleshill
- Probate Court: Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Coventry
- Poor Law Union: Foleshill
- Hundred: Knightlow
- Province: Canterbury
- History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Warwickshire; Francis White & Co.; 1850. ↩