Status: Ancient Parish
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1616
Parishes adjacent to Barford
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BARFORD, a village and a parish in the district and county of Warwick. The village stands on the river Avon, amid pleasant environs, 3 miles S by W of Warwick r. station; contains some fine houses; and has a post-office under Warwick. The parish comprises 1,540 acres. Real property, £5,668. Pop., 754. Houses, 190. The property is much subdivided. Barford House is the seat of Capt. W. Eyton, and commands a charming view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £869. Patron, John Mills, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1844; but includes the square tower of a previous edifice, and contains several monuments of the Mills family. A school has an endowed income of £48; and other charities £12.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Barford, a parish in the Warwick division of the hund. of Kington, union and county of Warwick, situated on the bank of the Avon; 3 miles south by west from Warwick. Living, a rectory in the archd, and dio. of Worcester; rated at £11 11s.; gross income £869. Patron, in 1835, John Mills. The rectorial tithes, the property of the clerical rector, were commuted in 1760. The church-lands of this parish yield an annual rent of £11 5s. John Beale, in 1672, and the Rev. Thomas Dugard, in 1677, bequeathed property, from which £48 per annum is drawn for the endowment of a free school in which about thirty boys and thirty girls are educated. There are also a boarding and a Sunday school here. Pop., in 1801, 485; in 1831, 748. Houses 165. Acres 1,490. A.P. £3,451. Poor rates, in 1837, £300.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Barford, 2½ m. S. Warwick. P. 849
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Barnett Thomas, Barford, Warwickshire, butcher, April 11, 1834.
Breedon Benjamin, Barford, Warwickshire, tailor, Nov. 2, 1838.
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Warwick
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Kineton
- Poor Law Union: Warwick
- Hundred: Kington
- Province: Canterbury