Alternative names: Bagington
Parish church: St John the Baptist
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1628
- Bishop's Transcripts: 1634
Parishes adjacent to Baginton
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Baginton, a parish in the district and county of Warwick; on the river Sow, 1¾ mile E of the Northwestern railway, and 3 S by E of Coventry. Post-town, Coventry. Acres, 1,667. Real property, £2,977. Pop., 213. Houses, 49. The property is all in one estate. Baginton Hall, the seat of the proprietor, was built by W. Bromley, Speaker of the House of Commons in the time of Queen Anne; and is now held by his descendant. Slight traces exist of a castle of Sir William Bagot, a strong partizan of Richard II.; where the Duke of Hereford, afterwards Henry IV., spent the night prior to his duel with the Duke of Norfolk, in the presence of Richard II., on Gosford Green, as described by Shakspeare. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £350. Patron, the Rev. W Bromley. The church is good; has a fine bell turret; and contains a brass of Sir W Bagot and his lady. A school has an endowed income of £228; and other charities £25.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Baginton, a parish in the Kenilworth division of the hund. of Knightlow, union and county of Warwick; 3½ miles south by east from Coventry. Living, a rectory, formerly in the archd. of Coventry and dio. of Lichfield and Coventry, now in the dio. of Worcester; rated at £8 1s. 8d.; gross income £375. Patron, in 1835, the incumbent, the Rev. W. D. Bromley. Here is a free school for the poor children of the parish, which is endowed with upwards of £200 per annum. The salary of the mistress is £60, and the children are clothed and supplied with books, &c. at the expense of the charity. The other charities connected with this parish produce above £12 a-year. Here stood the castle of Sir William Bagot, an adherent of Richard II, the site of which is barely to be traced. In this mansion the duke of Hereford, afterwards Henry IV., passed the night previous to his intended combat with the duke of Norfolk. In the reign of James I. this manor came into the possession of William Bromley, Esq , one of whose descendants was Secretary Bromley, the able servant of Queen Anne. Pop., in 1801, 300; in 1831, 257. Houses 56. Acres 1,480. A. P. £2,532. Poor rates, in 1837, £169.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Warwick
- Probate Court: Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Stonleigh
- Poor Law Union: Warwick
- Hundred: Knightlow
- Province: Canterbury