Avon Dassett is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Parish church: St. John the Baptist
Parish registers begin: 1559
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, General Baptist, and Primitive Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Avon Dassett
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Avon-Dasset, a parish in the district of Banbury and county of Warwick; 2 miles SW of Fenny-Compton r. station, and 6 ½ NNW of Banbury. It has a post-office under Banbury. Acres, 1,580. Real property, £3,038. Pop., 280. Houses, 57. The property is not much divided. The manor belonged, in the time of King Stephen, to William Gifford, a retainer of the Earl of Warwick, and passed afterwards to successively the Cantelupes, the Bishop Dens, the Pecheys, the Mountforts, the Saddlers, and the Woodwards. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £366. Patron, the Rev. R. G. Jeston. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Avon-Dasset, 4½ m. E.S.E. Kineton. P. 287.
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Dasset, Avon (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Banbury, Burton-Dasset division of the hundred of Kington, S. division of the county of Warwick, 5 miles (E. by S.) from Kington; containing 287 inhabitants. This parish was granted by Edward VI. to Sir Ralph Sadler, master of his great wardrobe, from whom it was purchased by the Woodwards, of Butler's-Marston, and passed from them to the family of Green, from whom, with the advowson, it came, in 1814, to the Rev. Robert Green Jeston, nephew of Robert Green, Esq. The Warwick and Birmingham road to Banbury runs through the parish, which comprises about 1600 acres; the Oxford canal passes within two miles. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's books at £13. 18. 9.; patron and incumbent, Rev. R. G. Jeston. The income is derived from a glebe of 280 acres, valued at about £460 per annum, to which there is an ancient glebe-house, lately put into repair. The church is neatly pewed, and contains in the chancel a recumbent effigy, in memory, as is supposed, of Sir Ralph Sadler. There is a small endowed school; and an allotment of land is applied to the benefit of the poor. Here are intrenchments which were thrown up at the time of the battle of Edge-Hill.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire 1830
Avon-Dassett, - south of Burton-Dasset, - is a parish in the hundred of Kington, 6 miles from Banbury, and 77 from London. In 1803, its parochial rates were £296 3s. 1½d. In 1811, it contained 46 houses and 239 inhabitants. In 1821, it contained 47 houses and 242 inhabitants. In 1826, it was valued at £2429, and its proportion to the county rate was £10 2s. 6d. It is a rectory, value £13 18s. 9d.
This manor passed through numerous hands to the Woodwards of Butlers-Marston, who possessed it for several generations
Source: The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire 1830. Wm. West. Printed and Published by R. Wrightson, Athenaeum, New-Street; and sold by Baldwin and Craddock, and Hurst, Chance and Co., London. 1830.
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Banbury
- Probate Court: Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory), Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Stonleigh
- Poor Law Union: Banbury
- Hundred: Kington
- Province: Canterbury