Aston juxta Birmingham Warwickshire Family History Guide

Aston juxta Birmingham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire. Erdington and Castle Bromwich are chapelries of Aston juxta Birmingham.

Other places in the parish include: Ashted, Duddeston-cum-Nechells, Deritend, Witton, Saltley with Washwood, Water Orton, and Little Bromwich.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1544

Separate registers exist for:

  • Ashted: 1810
  • Water Orton: 1813

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, General Baptist New Connexion, Independent/Congregational, Irvingite/Catholic Apostolic Church, Particular Baptist, Presbyterian, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.

Parishes adjacent to Aston juxta Birmingham

Historical Descriptions


The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ASTON, a parish and a district in Warwick. The parish partly lies within Birmingham on the E, partly spreads adjacent. It is traversed by Ryknield-street, the river Tame, the Fazeley canal, and the Northwestern, the Tamworth, the Oxford, and the Bristol railways. It contains the sub-post offices of Aston-street, Ashted-row, Aston-Park, and Deritend, each about 1½ mile distant from Birmingham head office. It comprises the hamlets of Deritend, Bordesley, and Duddeston-cum-Nechells; the manor of Aston, and the hamlets of Witton, Erdington, Little Bromwich, Saltley and Washwood, Castle-Bromwich, and Water-Orton. The hamlets of Deritend and Bordesley form one of the borough wards of Birmingham; the hamlet of Duddeston-cum-Nechells forms another ward; and the manor and the other hamlets are suburban or rural. Acres within the borough, 2,626; without the borough, 11,251. Real property of Aston manor, £53,188; of the suburban or rural hamlets, £43,452; of the entire parish, £276,514. Pop. in 1821, 19,189; in 1841, 45,718; in 1861, 94,995. Houses, 19,256. The manor belonged to the Saxon Earls of Mercia; was given, at the Conquest, to William Fitz-Ausculf; and passed to the Pagenels, the Erdingtons, and the Holts. The manor-house, Aston Hall, stands on a rising ground, at the end of a fine avenue, in the north-eastern outskirts of the town; is a noble edifice in the Tudor style, built in the time of James I. by Sir Thomas Holt; gave entertainment to Charles I. prior to the battle of Edge-Hill, and suffered a cannonade afterwards from the parliamentarian forces; and was, for some years, the residence of the late James Watt, son of the famous engineer. Most of a beautiful park which surrounded it has been aligned for streets, and let on building-leases; and a tract of about 43 acres immediately around the hall was sold, in 1857, to a public company, for £35,000, with the view of being made free to the inhabitants of Birmingham. The hall itself was included in the sale, and designed to be used for a permanent exhibition of manufactures and works of art; and was inaugurated, in 1858, by Queen Victoria. The parish church stands 300 yards E of the hall; is an interesting edifice in varieties of English, from Edward II. to Henry VII., with fine tower and spire; suffered great change and mutilation in 1790; and contains four altar tombs, some fine antique stone seats, a carved church-yard cross of early English date, and beautiful windows of stained glass. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £1,600. Patrons, Trustees. The chapelries of Ward-end, Ashted, Castle-Bromwich, Bordesley, (two are here,) Aston-Brook, Deritend, Erdington, Duddeston, Nechells, Lozells, Saltley, Water-Orton, St. Lawrence, and Sparkbrooke are separate charges. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, and others: public schools, an alms-house with £88 a year, and other charities £334.

The district of Aston comprehends the subdistrict of Deritend, containing the hamlets of Deritend and Bordesley; the subdistrict of Duddeston, conterminate with the hamlet of Duddeston-cum-Nechells; the subdistrict of Erdington, containing the other parts of Aston parish; and the subdistrict of Sutton-Coldfield, containing the parishes of Sutton-Coldfield, Curdworth, and Wishaw. Poor-rates in 1866, £9,822. Pop, in 1841, 50,977; in 1861, 100,522. Houses, 20,415. Marriages in 1866, 951; births, 5,224, of which 185 were illegitimate; deaths, 2,493 of which 1,326 were at ages under 5 years, and 32 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 7,635; births, 32,988; deaths, 17,585. The places on worship in 1851 were 17 of the Church of England, with 11,520 sittings; 7 of Independents, with 1,765 s.; 3 of Baptists, with 1,817 s.; 11 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 2,901 s.; 1 of Primitive Methodists, with 90 s.; 1 of Wesleyan Reformers, with 150 s.; 1 of the Catholic and Apostolic church, with 300 s.; 5 of Roman Catholics, with 1,070 s.; and 1 undefined, sittings not reported. The schools were 28 public day schools, with 3,300 scholars; 118 private day schools, with 2,553 s.; 31 Sunday schools, with 5,483 s.; and 1 evening school for adults, with 25 s. The workhouse is in Erdington.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Aston, 2 m. N. Birmingham. P. 45,718

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Aston, a parish in the Birmingham division of the hund. of Hemlingford, union of Aston, Warwickshire; 2¼ miles north-east by east from Birmingham, and 95¼ by railway from Liverpool. It contains the townships of Aston, Bordesley, Castle-Bromwich, Deritend, Duddlestone with Nechells, Erdington, Saltley-Washwood with Little Bromwich, Water-Orton, and Witton. Living, a vicarage, to which are annexed the chapelries of Deritend, Bordesley, and Erdington, formerly in the archd. of Coventry and dio. of Lichfield and Coventry, now in the dio. of Worcester; rated at £21 4s. 9½d.; average gross income £2,062. Patrons, in 1835, the trustees of the late Rev. G. Peake. The great tithes, the property of the lay-impropriator, commuted in 1802. There are two chapels in this parish erected by the parliamentary commissioners, viz. at Bordesley and at Erdington. The former cost £13,091; the latter £4,200. Both are in the Gothic style. The Baptists, Methodists, Independents, and various bodies of dissenters, have chapels in this parish. There were in 1833, 2 infant schools, 26 daily schools, 11 day and boarding schools, 3 day and Sunday schools, and 11 Sunday schools in this parish. Here is an alms-house for ten poor persons, founded in 1650 by Sir Thomas Holte. Its annual revenue is £88. There is also a bequest of Dame Anne Holte, in 1735, of £20 per annum, for behoof of the alms people. Other charities connected with the parish produce about £64 per annum. The Aston poor-law union comprehends five parishes, containing 47 square miles, with a population, returned in 1831, at 36,635. The average yearly expenditure on the poor of this district, during the three years preceding the formation of the union, was £8,813. Expenditure in 1838, £6,042. The inhabitants are for the most part artizans, employed in the various branches of manufacture for which Birmingham is celebrated. In 1838 there was a cotton and silk mill employing 32 hands, in this parish. The Birmingham and Fazeley canal passes through this parish; and the Grand Junction railway here crosses this canal by a viaduct of 10 arches. The parish is intersected by the line of the proposed railway from Castle-Bromwich to Kingsbury. Aston hall, a fine old mansion in this parish, is now the property of James Watt, Esq., son of the inventor of the steam-engine. Pop., in 1801, 11,693; in 1831, 32,118. Houses 6,409. The population of this parish has increased by 12,929 persons since the census of 1821, — a circumstance which is attributable to its connection with the manufactures of Birmingham. Acres 13,330. A. P. £53,142. Poor rates, in 1837, £7,961.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.


The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Ashted St. James, a chapelry in the parish of Aston-juxta-Birmingham, Warwickshire. Living, a perpetual curacy, formerly in the archd. of Coventry and dio. of Lichfield and Coventry, now in the dio. of Worcester; gross income £210. Patrons, in 1835, the bishop of Lichfield and others, as trustees. Pop., in 1831, 12,698

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

St. James' Chapel, Great Brook Street

St. James's Chapel, Great Brook Street, Ashted, at the eastern extremity of Birmingham, is a substantial plain brick building, originally the private residence of the late Dr. Ash. the founder of the General Hospital, Birmingham. On his decease, it was converted into a Proprietary Chapel, by Dr. Crofts, and very neatly fitted up as a place of worship. On his decease, it was put up for sale by public auction, and was purchased by some friends of the late Rev. Edward Burn, incumbent of St, Mary's, at a cost of £1,200. repaired and re-fitted at an additional expense of £1,500, and consecrated by Bishop Cornwallis, September 7th, 1810, and vested in the hands of the Rev. Henry Ryder and three others, as trustees for sixty years, and the Rev. Henry Burn nominated as minister. In 1829, Mr. Burn resigned the care of the chapel, when the Rev. Josiah Allport, its present incumbent, was appointed. In 1830, the chapel was thoroughly repaired, and the galleries extended so as to provide 150 free sittings, at an expense of £848, previous to which, in this hamlet, containing nearly 12,000 souls, there was no accommodation for the poor. In 1835, the population around being more than doubled, the chapel was enlarged, at a cost of about £1,300, by the addition of at least one-third of its present length, forming it into a proper oblong; besides the construction of a suitable chancel, and the galleries extended throughout the new part. The chapel will now seat 1,500 persons, of which 600 are free seats, besides 250 sittings for the Sunday school children. A sweet-toned organ, built by Bishop, was, during the time of the Rev. Mr. Burn, placed in the chapel; and very recently, John Whittingham, Esq. bequeathed £200. for the erection of a clock in the turret, but which is wholly unsuited to such an advantageous appendage. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of trustees, as before stated, but has no endownent attached to it: the support of the minister, and defraying of all repairs and incidental expenses, rests solely on the seatholders. The present incumbent has four public services every Lord's day: commencing at nine o'clock in the morning, for the convenience of the military, in the barracks contigious to St. James's; with congregational services at eleven, afternoon at three; and evening at half-past six.

Source: History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Warwickshire; Francis White & Co.; 1850.


Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Deritend, a chapelry and a sub-district, in the parish and district of Aston, Warwick. The chapelry lies on the river Rea, the Birmingham and Warwick canal, and the Birmingham and Oxford railway, within Birmingham borough; comprises some of the south-eastern streets of Birmingham; and has a post-office under Birmingham. Pop. not separately returned. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £319. Patrons, the Inhabitants. The church was rebuilt in 1735; and has a square brick tower, added in 1762. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Wesleyans.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Deritend, 1 mile S.E. Birmingham. P. included in Aston

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.


St. Matthew's Church, Gt. Lister Street

St. Matthew's Church, Gt. Lister Street, Duddeston-cum-Nechells, Aston parish, is a handsome brick structure, in the Gothic style, with lancet windows, a tower and spire, and was built by the Birmingham Church Building Society, formed in 1838-9 to build ten churches, at a cost of £3,200, and consecrated October 20th, 1840. It has a district of about 11,000 souls assigned to it. The living, a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of trustees. Rev. George W. Chamberlain, M.A., incumbent.

The Parsonage, a neat residence, is near the church.

Source: History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Warwickshire; Francis White & Co.; 1850.

Gravelly Hill

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Gravelly Hill, a place in Aston parish, Warwick; on the Birmingham and Sutton-Coldfield railway, 2 ½ miles NE by N of Birmingham. It has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Birmingham.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Little Bromwich

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Bromwich, Little, a hamlet, in the parish and union of Aston, Birmingham division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick, 3 miles (N. E.) from Birmingham; containing 262 inhabitants. The hamlet is bounded by the river Tame on the north, and by the river Cole on the south, and is intersected by the road between Birmingham and Coleshill, and the London and Birmingham railway: the surface is flat and well-wooded, and the soil is a sandy loam. Ward-End Hall, an old farm-house near the church of Ward-End (which see), with about 100 acres of land, comprising the 30 acres mentioned in Dugdale’s Warwickshire as the Park, is the property of Thos. Hutton, Esq., and is occupied by a member of his family. The manor-house at Allum Rock is the property of W. Webb Essington, Esq., and the residence of Isaac Marshall, Esq.; and Ward-End House is the property and residence of George Marshall, Esq.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Saltley with Washwood

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Saltley, with Washwood, a hamlet, in the parish and union of Aston, Birmingham division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N division of the county of Warwick; containing 695 inhabitants.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Water Orton

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Water-Overton, or Orton, a chapelry in the parish and union of Aston, Birmingham division of the hund. of Hemlingford, county of Warwick; 2½ miles north-west of Coleshill, near the Birmingham and Derby railway. Living, a perpetual curacy, formerly in the archd. of Coventry, and dio. of Lichfield and Coventry, now in the dio. of Worcester; not in charge, returned at £75; gross income £115; subordinate to the vicarage of Aston. Patrons, in 1841, certain trustees. Returns with the parish.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.


Aston Gazetteer and Directory of Warwickshire 1850

Post Office, at Mr. Frederick James Roberts’s.

Armishaw Mrs. Ann, Aston village

Armishaw Margt. & Ann, school, Aston villg

Avery Mr. Samuel, Elmdon Villa

Bacon Miss Ann, Lichfield terrace

Biddle Miss Dorothy, Lichfield terrace

Boland Richard, jeweller, Aston village

Brady Cornelius, commercial traveller

Burdett Edward, clerk, Lichfield terrace

Butler .lohn, coal dealer

Butler William, blacksmith, Aston village

Cheshire C. spirit mert., Claremont cottage

Chillingworth Thomas, clerk, Park place

Collet Mrs. Elizabeth, Aston village

Cooke James, clerk

Cooper Joseph Rock, gun and pistol manufacturer. Park Cottage

Cooper Richd. B. spur maker, Lichfield ter

Donahoe Edward, shopkeeper

Emery Mr. Alfred Holland, Laurel terrace

Emery Samuel, roller of and dealer in every description of metals, Victoria Works; house, Albert House

Fenwicke Rev. George O. vicar. Vicarage

Goode Benjamin Vim. jeweller, Aston vil.

Greaves Mr. Thomas, Lichfield terrace

Griffiths Henry, shoemaker

Groves Richard, plumber and glazier

Hardy Ann, victualler, Manor Tavern

Harvey Jas. gun barrel grinder, Aston vil

Heaton Mrs. Martha, Lichfield trrrace

Hickman Mrs. Jane, Lichfield terrace

Hickman Mr. William, Lichfield terrace

Holloway Gilbert, basket maker

Hollis Mr. John, Aston village

Horne Thos. brass founder, &c. Aston vil.

Horrocks John, beerhouse & gun engraver

Houghton Rev. Matthew, curate, Aston vil

Insley, William, beerhouse

Jackson Mr. Thomas, Aston village

James Henry, butcher and baker

James Thomas, miller

Jenkins Mr. Thomas, Park villa

Joverns Joseph, baker

Lomas D. clerk, & E. school, Lichfield ter

Longmore Thos. brass founder, Aston vil.

Morris George, beerhouse and bricklayer

Neal George, clerk, Windsor place

Nevill James, victualler, Vine Inn

Ouseman John Benjamin, tailor

Parker Joseph Basnett, gun barrel maker, and Elizabeth S. school. Laurel terrace

Peat Mrs. Margaret Ann, Laurel terrace

Pitt Ed. clerk to the Union, Victoria Cot.

Potter Richard, farmer. Park

Roberts Fred. Jas. parish clerk and sexton, Aston village

Rowley Edward, artist

Shaw Z. A. milliner & dress mkr. Vine Cot.

Sharman Thomas, maltster, Aston village

Siddons Charles & William, air trigger, &c. manufacturers, Laurel terrace

Sims Jph. farmer & iron master, Aston park

Smith W. steel toy manufr. Windsor place

Spence Mr. John, Lichfield terrace

Spencer Thomas, shopkeeper

Turner James, gun barrel maker, Aston vil

Vickery Mary, shopkeeper, Aston village

Wells Richard, engineer. Water Works

Williams Rd., laud surveyor, Lichfield ter.

Wilson Jane, vict. Aston Tavern, Aston vl

Winton Joseph, farmer, Park

Worsey, Mr. Edward, Laurel terrace

Source: Gazetteer and Directory of Warwickshire; Francis White & Co.; 1850. 

Water Orton Trades Directory 1861

Aspinall Thomas, Esq.

Hargrave Miss Jane

Hipkiss George, farmer

Jenkins Thomas, Esq.

Palmer Shirley P., Esq.

Parry Mr. William

Standbridge Thomas, Esq.

Turner George, Esq.

White Richard, Esq.

Whitlock John H., victualler, Dog Inn

Source: Corporation General and Trades Directory of Birmingham and Wolverhampton; William Cornish, Birmingham; 1861

Water Orton Warwickshire Directory 1850

Day William, victualler. Royal Oak

Halford Henry Haden, Esq., coal master

Hargrave Misses Jane and Julia

Hill George, gardener

Hutchins John, beerhouse

Littlewood Thomas, gentleman

Short Elizabeth, victualler, The Dog

Terry William, gentleman

Williams John, smith and parish clerk


Cooper John, (and builder)

Day Thomas

Jenkins William

Marshall Josiah

Wakefield Thomas

Wood Francis

Source: History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Warwickshire; Francis White & Co.; 1850

Witton Trades Directory 1861

Those marked + have their places of business in Birmingham.

Post Office. — Letters arrive from Birmingham, at 9-0 a.m., and are despatched at -- pm. -- L. Cutler, receiver.

Allinton William, gardener, Borough Cemetery

+ Banton Mr. Richard

Cutler Linnsaeus, victualler, Hare and Hounds

+ Dugard Mr. John

+ Hooper John, basket mkr

+ Lancaster Mr. James, Witton cottage

Sargent William, victualler, Yew Tree Inn

Morris John, gun barrel borer

Shyrte Mary, boarding school, Witton hall


Ashmall Charles, Brook

Faulkner William

Fowler Richard

Petty George

Phillips John

Potter Joseph

Short John

Source: Corporation General and Trades Directory of Birmingham and Wolverhampton; William Cornish, Birmingham; 1861

Witton Warwickshire Directory 1850

 Ashford R. pleasure gardens, Boat Tavrn.

Bodington Mr. Nathan

Jones Abraham, spade and shovel manufacturer, and beerhouse

Shyrte Mary, school. The Hall

Walker Joseph, beerhouse

Wallis Joseph, gentleman


Ashmall Chas. brook farm

Bragg William

Brown Jph. Witton Hall farm

Gibbs Eliz., (and gardener)

Potter Joseph

Short John

Wells Geo. Whitton Lodge

Wells Joseph, Upper Wtton

Source: History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Warwickshire; Francis White & Co.; 1850


Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Battcock Charles, Victoria tavern, Aston, Birmingham, victualler, Mar. 30, 1841.

Battin John and James, Aston, near Birmingham, corn dealer, Jan. 13, 1832.

Bedson Thomas; and Robert Bishop; Aston, Birmingham, brass founders, June 22, 1822.

Benson Edward White; and William Darke; Aston, Birmingham, chemists, Nov. 17, 1829.

Bishop Robert, Aston road, near Birmingham, brass founder, June 8, 1822.

Brentnall Benjamin, Aston, near Birmingham, miller, June 16, 1829.

Bridge William, Deritend, Birmingham, boot and Shoemaker, Feb. 9, 1841.

Burt Edward, Aston juxta Birmingham, victualler, Jan. 14, 1840.

Campbell Robert, Deritend, Warwickshire, brassfounder, Jan. 20, 1837.

Church William, Aston, Birmingham, civil engineer, May 5, 1835.

Edwards Richard, Aston nigh Birmingham, victualler, Jan. 17, 1840.

East George; and George Phillips Vincent; Aston, Birmingham, glass makers, May 12, 1837.

Fowler William, Aston, Birmingham, brickmaker and victualler, Jan. 30, 1838.

Griñln Edward, Erdington, Aston, Birmingham, surgeon, June 24, 1834.

Grist James, Aston, Birmingham, corn dealer, Jan. 2. 1827.

Hobday Samuel, Aston, Birmingham, snuffers maker, Jan. 28, 1826.

Hood Joseph, jun., Deritend, Warwickshire, grocer & druggist, March 26, 1825.

Jones John, jun., Aston-juxta-Birmingham, gun maker, Dec. 12. 1828.

Kendall Henry; Edmund Kendall ; John Kendall; and Joseph Kendall; Deritend, Birmingham, perfumers and toy sellers, Jan. 19, 1838

Lowe James, Ashted, near Birmingham, dealer in iron, Nov. 3, 1829.

Minshull Charles, Bordesley, Aston, Birmingham, builder, April 8, 1828.

Parker George, Deritend, Aston, Warwickshire, factor, Feb. 14, 1832.

Partridge Thomas, jun., Aston, Birmingham, maltster, June 27, 1837.

Perry Robert, Aston, Birmingham, dealer and chapmnn, April 14, 1837.

Price James, Deritend, Warwickshire, bellows maker, Aug. 15, 1826.

Ratcliff John, Aston, Birmingham, victualler, Aug. 2, 1831.

Rickards James, Aston, Birmingham, builder, May 9, 1826.

Sadler Thomas, Aston, near Birmingham, dealer and chapman, July 14, 1821.

Selkirk William, Aston, juxta Birmingham, engraver, June 22, 1841. (Note: entry below this is Selkirk William, Birmingham, letter cutter and engraver, May 1, 1832.)

Singleton Joseph, Aston, Birmingham, wire drawer, Jan. 18, 1839.

Spence Henry, Deritend, Birmingham, carrier & leather seller, May 26, 1829.

Swift Walter, jun.; and Thomas Swift ; Ashted, near Birmingham, steel-toy maker, May 28, 1825.

Tabberer William, Aston, Birmingham, miller and corn dealer, Jan. 24, 1826.

Taylor Charles, Aston, near Birmingham, maltster, June 2, 1867.

Thompson William; Henry Leonard; and Richard Brookholding Dawes; Ashted. Aston, Birmingham, factors and manufacturers, Oct. 14, 1836.

Worsey Edward, Aston, near Birmingham, blank tray maker, Dес. 20, 1833.

Wright Joshua, Deritend Old Mills, Birmingham, matchet manuf., Dec 3. 1841.


  • County: Warwickshire
  • Civil Registration District: Aston
  • Probate Court: Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory), Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Arden
  • Poor Law Union: Aston
  • Hundred: Birmingham Borough; Hemlingford
  • Province: Canterbury