Aston Cantlow Warwickshire Family History Guide

Aston Cantlow is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.

Alternative names: Little Alne, Aston Cantelupe

Other places in the parish include: Pathlow, Sheffield, Wilncott, and Newnham.

Parish church: St John the Baptist

Parish registers begin: 1560

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational

Parishes adjacent to Aston Cantlow

Historical Descriptions

Aston Cantlow

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ASTON-CANTLOW, or Aston-Cantelupe, a parish in Alcester district, Warwick; on the river Alne, near the Birmingham and Stratford canal, 2½ miles W by S of Bearley r. station, and 5½ NW of Stratford-on-Avon. It includes the divisions of Newnham, Sheffield, Little Alne, and Pathlow, and part of the hamlet of Wilncott; and its Post Town is Henley-in-Arden, under Birmingham. Acres, 4,300. Real property, £7,611,-of which £1,563 are in quarries. Pop., 1,055. Houses, 230. The manor belonged anciently to the Cantelupes. The right to a market was obtained by one of the Cantelupes in the time of Henry III.; but has gone into disuse. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Wilmcote, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £93. Patron, the Rev. E. B. K. Fortescue. The church has an embattled tower.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Aston-Cantlow, a parish in the Stratford division of the hund. of Barlichway, union of Alcester, Warwickshire; 4 miles north-east from Alcester. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £9 9s. 7d., and in the parliamentary returns at £74 19s. 3d.; gross income £93. Patron, in 1835, the Rev. R. S. Carles. There are five daily schools in this parish. The Stratford-on-Avon canal skirts the eastern side of this parish, which is also intersected by the Alne. Pop., in 1801, 721; in 1831, 940. Houses 183. Acres 4,300. A. P. £5,509. Poor rates, in 1837, £555.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Aston-Cantlow, 4 m. N.E. Alcester. P. 1089.

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Little Alne

The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire 1830

Great and Little Alne stand on the river Alne, near its junction with the Arrow.  This manor was bestowed on the monks of Winchcomb Abbey, in Gloucestershire, at an early period, but since the dissolution it has had various possessors.

Source: The History Topography and Directory of Warwickshire 1830. Wm. West. Printed and Published by R. Wrightson, Athenaeum, New-Street; and sold by Baldwin and Craddock, and Hurst, Chance and Co., London. 1830.

Sheffield

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

SHEFFIELD, or Shelfield, a division of Aston-Cantlow parish, Warwick; 2 miles NW of Aston-Cantlow.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Aston Cantlow Marriages Out of Parish

Below is a list of people who were from Aston Cantlow but who were married in another parish.

William Knight, of Winscote, p. of Ashton Cantloe, Worcs., & Esther Harrison 19 Nov. 1765 at North & Middle Littleton, Worcestershire.

George Brookes, Aston Cantlo, b., & Ann Bridgewater, s., lic. 12 Aug. 1800 at North & Middle Littleton, Worcestershire.

Administration

  • County: Warwickshire
  • Civil Registration District: Alcester
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Warwick
  • Poor Law Union: Alcester
  • Hundred: Barlinchway
  • Province: Canterbury