Ansley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Warwickshire.
Parish registers begin: 1637
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian, and Primitive Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Ansley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ANSLEY, a parish in Atherstone district, Warwick; on the river Bourne, 5 miles W of Nuneaton r. station. It has a post office under Atherstone. Acres, 2,869. Real property, £5,023. Pop., 685. Houses, 160. The property is not much divided. Ansley Hall belonged ouce to the Ludfords, and belongs now to the Astleyys; and it stands in an extensive park, which abounds with both natural and artificial beanties, and contains a hermitage and a Chinese temple. The hermitage was formed out of an ancient oratory, and was the place where Wharton wrote his lines, "Beneath this stony roof reclined," and the Chinese temple was constructed by Sir W. Chambers, and contains a monument of the Purefoy family, brought from Caldecote church. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £116. Patron, the Rev. Theoph. Sharp. The church is partly Norman, has a fine square tower, and is in good condition. There is an Independent chapel. Charities, £47.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Ansley, a parish in the Atherstone division of the hund. of Hemlingford, union of Atherstone, county of Warwick; 5 miles west by north from Nuneaton, on the head-source of the Bourne. Living, a discharged vicarage, formerly in the archd. of Coventry and dio. of Lichfield and Coventry, now in the dio. of Worcester; rated at £6 6s. 8d.; in the parliamentary returns at £127 18s.; gross income, in 1832, £134. Patron, in 1835, the Crown. Here is a free school, with a small endowment, now connected with the National society, at which about 50 children are educated. There are an Independent chapel and school here. The yearly income of charities connected with this parish is £47 14s. 8d. There are some vestiges of Ansley castle. The church exhibits some portions in the early Norman style, and has at the west end a square tower of considerable beauty. Pop., in 1801, 544; in 1831, 773. Houses 160. Acres 3,580. A. P. £3,275. Poor rates, in 1837, £317.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Ansley, 5 miles W. Nuneaton. P.701
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Birth, Marriage, & Death Records
|United Kingdom, World War I Service Records, 1914-1920|
- County: Warwickshire
- Civil Registration District: Atherstone
- Probate Court: Post-1836 - Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory), Pre-1837 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Arden
- Poor Law Union: Atherstone
- Hundred: Hemlingford
- Province: Canterbury