Alveston— formerly called Aulston— a parish in the Snitterfield division of the hund. of Barlichway, Stratford-on-Avon union, Warwickshire; 2 miles north-east from Stratford-on-Avon. Living, a vicarage in the dio. of Worcester, exempt from the visitation of the archdeacon; rated at £6, and in the parliamentary returns at £130; gross income £223. The church contains some fine monuments of the Lucy family. Patron, the rector of Hampton-Lucy. The great and small tithes were commuted in 1771. There is a small daily school here. Charities connected with this parish yield a yearly revenue of £47. The village stands in an agreeable neighbourhood, and finely wooded country, near the Avon; and has been called from the salubrity of its air, the Montpelier of England. A new church has been built here. Pop., in 1801, 465; in 1831, 650. Houses 135. Acres 4,300. A. P. £6,561. Poor rates, in 1837, £431. — To the westward of Alveston rise the Welcombe hills.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Alveston, 2 miles N.E. Stratford-on-Avon. P. 793
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.