Radnorshire in South Wales, is bounded, North by Montgomeryshire, East by Shropshire and Herefordshire, South and South-West by Brecknockshire, and North-West by Cardiganshire. It is about 31 miles long, and about 26 broad; and is divided into six Hundreds — Colwyn, Kevenlys, Knighton, Painscastle, Radnor, Rhayader. Rivers: the Wye, the Elan, the Aro, the Somergil, and the Lug. It has 4 Market-Towns. It is in the Province of Canterbury, in the Diocese of Llandaff, and in the Southern Circuit.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850