The County of Pembrokeshire

Pembrokeshire in South Wales, is bounded, North-East by Cardiganshire, East by Carmarthenshire, and, on the other sides, by the Irish Sea. It is about 30 miles long, and about 13 miles broad ; and is divided into seven Hundreds — Castle-Martin, Dewsland, Dungleddy, Kemess, Kilgerran, Narbeth, and Rouse. Rivers: the Eastern and Western Cleddans, the Gwaine, the Biran, the Kiog, the Nevern, and the Radford. It has 9 Market-Towns. It is in the Province of Canterbury, in the Diocese of St. David’s, and in the Southern Circuit. Population, 88,044

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Pembrokeshire Parishes

[row] [column md=”4″]
  • Ambleston (Treamlod)
  • Amroth
  • Angle


  • Bayvil (Beifil, Y)
  • Begeli (Begelly)
  • Bletherston (Trefelen)
  • Bont-faen (Pontvane)
  • Bosheston
  • Boulston
  • Brawdy (Breudeth)
  • Bridell
  • Burton
  • Camros (Camrose)
  • Capel Colman
  • Carew (Caeriw)
  • Castellan (chapelry)
  • Castlebythe (Cas-Fuwch)
  • Castlemartin (Castellmartin)
  • Cilgerran
  • Cilgwyn
  • Cilrhedyn
  • Clarbeston
  • Clunderwen (Clynderwen)
  • Clydau (Clydey)
  • Coedcanlas
  • Cosheston
  • Crinow (Crynwedd)
  • Cronwern (Crunwear)


  • Dale
  • Dinas
  • Eglwyswrw


  • Fishguard (Abergwaun)
  • Ford (chapelry)
  • Freystrop


  • Granston
  • Gumfreston


  • Haroldston St. Issell
  • Haroldston West
  • Hasguard
  • Haverfordwest
  • Haverfordwest
  • Haycastle
  • Henry’s Moat
  • Herbrandston
  • Hodgeston
  • Hubberston


  • Jeffreston
  • Johnston
  • Jordanston
[/column][column md=”4″]
  • Lambston
  • Lamphey
  • Lawrenni
  • Letterston
  • Little Newcastle
  • Loveston
  • Ludchurch
  • Llanbedr Felfre
  • Llanddewi Felffre
  • Llandeilo
  • Llandeloy
  • Llandysilio East
  • Llanfair Nant-gwyn
  • Llanfair Nant-y-gof
  • Llanfallteg West
  • Llanfihangel West
  • Llanfihangel Penbedw
  • Llanfyrnach
  • Llangolman
  • Llangwm
  • Llanhywel
  • Llanrheithan
  • Llanrhian
  • Llanstadwel
  • Llanstinan
  • Llantwyd
  • Llanwnda
  • Llan-y-cefn
  • Llanychar
  • Llanychlwydog
  • Llawhaden
  • Llys-y-fran


  • Maenclochog
  • Maenorbyr
  • Maenordeifi
  • Marloes
  • Marnawan
  • Martletwy
  • Mathri
  • Meline
  • Minwear
  • Monington
  • Monkton
  • Morfil
  • Moylgrove
  • Mynachlog-ddu


  • Narberth (Arberth)
  • Nash
  • Nevern
  • New Moat
  • Newport
  • Newton North
  • Nolton
[/column][column md=”4″];

  • Pembroke
  • Pembroke Dock (chapelry)
  • Penally
  • Penrhyd
  • Prendergast
  • Puncheston
  • Pwllcrochon


  • Redberth
  • Rhoscrowdder
  • Robeston Wathen
  • Robeston West
  • Roch
  • Rosemarket
  • Rudbaxton


  • Slebech
  • Spital
  • St. Brides
  • St. David’s
  • St. Dogmaels
  • St. Dogwells
  • St. Edrens
  • St. Elvis
  • St. Florence
  • St. Ishmaels
  • St. Lawrence
  • St. Petrox
  • St. Twinells
  • Stackpole Elidir
  • Steynton


  • Talbenni
  • Templeton (chapelry)
  • Tenby
  • Trefgam


  • Uzmaston


  • Walton East
  • Walwyn’s Castle
  • Warren
  • West Walton
  • Whitechurch
  • Wiston


  • Yerbeston

Begelly Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1842

Begelly (Bugeli), a parish, in the union and hundred of Narberth, county of Pembroke, South Wales, 5 miles (S. by E.) from Narberth, on the road to Tenby; containing, with the chapelry of Williamston, which supports its own poor, 996 inhabitants. The substratum of the soil in this parish is coal, of excellent quality, and in great request for the drying of malt and hops by the proprietors of breweries and distilleries: it is chiefly procured by a company under Sir R. B. P. Philipps, Bart., and J. M. Childe, Esq., who are the chief proprietors of the soil, and receive one-sixth part, as their share of the produce: there are also some smaller proprietors, who exact one-fifth, and even one-fourth, part from those who work only on a limited scale. A railway has been commenced from the mines, leading over King’s Moor to Saundersfoot, in the parish of St. Issels, which is now in progress, and which, when completed, will greatly contribute to promote the interests of the surrounding neighbourhood. Iron-ore is also found, both above and below the strata of coal, and, during the existence of the Pembrey Iron Company, was procured in great quantities and with considerable benefit to the proprietors; but, since the stoppage of those works, the search for it has been discontinued. The shale which is found with the coal exhibits many interesting specimens of the fern and reed plants, and pyrites of iron have also been discovered. The living is a discharged rectory, rated in the king’s books at £12. 19. 2.; present net income, £216; patron, Sir R. B. P.Philipps, Bart. The church is an ancient structure, in the early style of English architecture, with a lofty tower, and is pleasantly situated near Begelly Hall, by the trees surrounding which it is partly concealed. The chapel of Williamston is a rude structure without a tower, standing in the hamlet of that name. The parsonage-house is situated on part of a stratum of coal, which has been wrought all round it, and, if the excavation had been continued, it would have endangered the stability of the building. There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists. Here is a day school, in which from 20 to 30 children are instructed at the expense of their parents; and there are two Sunday schools conducted gratuitously, in one of which, in connection with the Established Church, are about 220 children; and in the other, which belongs to the Calvinistic Methodists, are about 25. Near the parsonage-house are the remains of a cromlech, which has been thrown down; and in its vicinity is a tumulus, supposed to have been raised to the memory of some unknown chieftain. The total expenditure of the parochial rates for the year ending March 25th, 1836, amounted to £89. 17., of which £63. 11. was for the relief of the poor, £17. 2. towards county rates, and £9. 4. for incidental charges.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis Third Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 87, Hatton Garden. MDCCCXLII.

Bayvill Lewis Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1845

Bayvill, a parish, in the union of Cardigan, hundred of Kemmes, county of Pembroke, South Wales, 3 miles (E.N.E.) from Newport; containing 130 inhabitants. This small parish, which is situated in the northern part of the county, and within a short distance of the coast, is intersected by a tributary stream, which rises to the north of the church, and falls into the river Nevern near its influx into the sea at Newport bay: the rateable annual value is returned at £658. The living is a discharged vicarage, consolidated with that of Moylgrove, rated in the king’s books at £5, and endowed with £800 royal bounty; net income, £224; impropriators, the Landowners. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. There is a place of worship for Independents.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis Third Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Hubberstone Pembrokeshire Universal British Directory 1791

Hubberstone is situated near Milford-haven, the station of the packet for Waterford in Ireland. The towns of Haverfordwest and Pembroke are within ten miles of this place; as are also the following villages: Dale, Pill, Nayland, Robeston Hall, and St. Ishmael’s – The following are the principal inhabitants:

Allen Mrs.

Andrew Francis, Esq.

Bishop James, Esq.

Collingwood, F. Esq. Continue reading “Hubberstone Pembrokeshire Universal British Directory 1791”