In North Wales, is bounded, North by Denbighshire, East and North-east by Shropshire, South-east by Radnorshire, South-west by Cardiganshire, and West by Merionethshire. It is about 35 miles long, and about 30 miles broad, and is divided into nine Hundreds; namely, Cawrse, Denddwr, Llanfyllin, Llanidloes, Machynlleth, Mathrafel, Montgomery, Newton, and Pool. Rivers: the Traeth-bach, the Maw, and the Dovey. It has 7 Market-Towns. It is in the Province of Canterbury, in the Diocese of Bangor, and in the Northern Circuit. Population, 69,219.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850