NEWPORT, a parliamentary borough, seaport, and market and post town of England, in Monmouthshire, situated on the Usk, which is crossed here by a handsome bridge, 21 miles S.W. from Monmouth. It unites with Monmouth and Usk to form the Monmouth district of boroughs. The town contains three churches besides the parish church, several chapels for nonconformists, a Roman Catholic chapel, a literary institute, assembly-rooms, market house, a dispensary, and several schools. Shipbuilding is carried on here, and there are several large iron~foundries and works in the town and neighbourhood. It has a large export trade in coal and iron, and possesses large docks, recently constructed, for loading vessels with coal, iron, &c., and receiving imports of timber and grain. In November, 1839, Newport was the scene of a Chartist riot, instigated by John Frost, who had been a magistrate for Monmouthshire, and other influential members of the Chartist party. The outbreak was not quelled without considerable loss of life. Frost and the leaders of the mob were taken, tried for high treason, and transported for life. Mar. D. Wed. and Sat. Pop. of bor. 23,249. It is a telegraph station, and a station on the South Wales section of the Great Western Railway and also on the Monmouthshire and Bristol and South Wales Union lines of the same railway, the Brecon and Merthyr, and the Sirhowy Railways.
Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.