Monmouthshire is bounded, North by Brecknock and Herefordshire, East by Gloucestershire, South by the Severn or Bristol Channel, and West by Glamorganshire and Brecknockshire. It is 33 miles long and 26 broad; and is divided into six Hundreds — Abergavenny, Caldicot, Ragland, Skenfreth, Uske, Wentlog. Rivers: the Wye, the Severn, the Uske, the Rumney, the Monnow, and the Ebwy. This county has 7 Market Towns. It is in the Province of Canterbury, in the Dioceses of Llandaff, Hereford, and St David’s, and in the Oxford Circuit. Monmouthshire contains 498 square miles, or 318,720 acres. Population, 134,305.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
NEWPORT, a parliamentary borough, seaport, and market and post town of England, in Monmouthshire, situated on the Usk, which is crossed here by a handsome bridge, 21 miles S.W. from Monmouth. It unites with Monmouth and Usk to form the Monmouth district of boroughs. The town contains three churches besides the parish church, several chapels for nonconformists, a Roman Catholic chapel, a literary institute, assembly-rooms, market house, a dispensary, and several schools. Shipbuilding is carried on here, and there are several large iron~foundries and works in the town and neighbourhood. Continue reading “Newport Monmouthshire – Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870”
Abergavenny, a market and post town of England, in Monmouthshire, situated on the river Gavenny, at its junction with the Usk, 13 miles W. from Monmouth. It has a. trade in flannels. Mar. D. Tues. and Sat. Pop. 6086. A station on the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford Railway, 18 miles by rail from Newport, and a telegraph station.
Abergavenny (St. Mary), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the division and hundred of Abergavenny, county of Monmouth, 16 miles (W. by N.) from Monmouth, and 145 (W. by N.) from London, on the road to Brecon; comprising the hamlets of Hardwick and Llwyndu, and containing 4953 inhabitants, of whom 2720 are in the town. This was the Gobannium of Antoninus, a Roman station so called from the river Gobannius, now Gavenny, from which the present name of the town is formed, by prefixing the Welsh word Aber, denoting its situation near the mouth of that river. Soon after the Conquest, a castle was erected here, on an eminence overlooking the Usk, by Hameline de Balun, or Baladun, one of William’s followers, which was besieged and taken in 1215, by Llewelyn, Prince of Wales : the only remains are the exterior walls, which appear to have been erected in the time of Henry II., and within which a neat modern house has been built. De Balun also founded a priory for Benedictine monks, in honour of the Blessed Virgin, the revenue of which, at the dissolution, was £59. 4.: it stood in Monk-street, and the site is now occupied by a modern dwelling, called the Priory House. Continue reading “Abergavenny Monmouthshire – Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845”
ABERGAVENNY, a parish partly in the upper, but chiefly in the lower division of the hund. and union of the same name, Monmouthshire; 13½ miles west of Monmouth, and 156 distant from London. It comprises the market-town of Abergavenny, and the hamlets of Hardwicke and Lloyndu. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. and dio. of Llandaff; rated at £15 3s. 11 1/2 d.; gross income £461. Patron, in 1835, C. R. Tynte. The church has recently been rebuilt. It is a spacious structure, and contains several very ancient monuments. Its choir remains in its original state, with rudely curved oaken stalls. The Independent church in Castle street was formed in 1700; the Baptist church in Frogmore street, in 1807; the Wesleyan Methodist church, in 1812; and the second Baptist church, in 1828. There is also a Roman Catholic chapel here. The free grammar-school, founded by Henry VIII., has 18 scholars on its foundation, and is under the patronage of Jesus’ college, Oxford. There are also a Lancasterian school, a National school, and several Sunday schools. Continue reading “Abergavenny Monmouthshire – The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840”