In North Wales, is bounded, North by Caernarvonshire and Denbighshire, East by Denbighshire and Montgomeryshire, South by Cardiganshire, and West by the Irish Sea and Caernarvonshire. It is 35 miles long, and 25 miles broad, and is divided into five Hundreds, namely, Arduddwy, Edernion, Estimaner, Penllyn, and Talybont. Rivers: the Dee, the Maw, and the Dovey. It has six Market-Towns. It is in the Province of Canterbury, in the Diocese of Bangor, and in the Northern Circuit. Population, 39,332.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850