The County of Glamorgan

Last updated on March 30th, 2017

A maritime county of South Wales, bounded, North by Brecknockshire and part of Carmarthenshire, East by Monmouthshire, South by the Bristol Channel, and West by Carmarthenshire. It is about 48 miles long, and about 28 miles broad, and is divided into eleven Hundreds, namely, Caerphilly, Cowbridge, Dinas, Powis, Kibber, Llangwelack, Miskin, Neath, Newcastle, Ogmore, and Swansea. Rivers: the Rhymny, the Taff, the Ogmore, the Avon, the Neath, and the Tavey. It has 10 Market-Towns. It is in the Province of Canterbury, in the Diocese of Llandaff, and in the Southern Circuit. Population, 171,188.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Glamorgan Towns & Parishes

Continue reading “The County of Glamorgan”

Llandaff, Glamorgan – Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870

LLANDAFF, an ancient city, market town, and parish of Wales, in the county of Glamorgan, on the Taff, now a village, though a bishop’s see, 2 miles N.W. from its post town, Cardiff. It has a money ord. off. The bishopric of Llandaff is one of the oldest in the United Kingdom. The present cathedral was commenced about 1120. It has long been in a ruinous condition, and the nave was shortened by the erection of a new western front in 1751. It has, however, of late years been thoroughly repaired and completely restored. The prevailing styles of architecture in the building are the early English and Decorated English. Near the cathedral are some remains of the celebrated castellated mansion of the bishop. Mar. D. Mon. P0p. 6585. It is a station on the Tafi’ Vale Railway, 4½ miles by rail from Cardiff Docks.

Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.

Aberdare Glamorgan – Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870

ABERDARE, an important market and post town and parish of Wales, in Glamorganshire, situated on the Cynon, 4 mile; SW. from Merthyr Tydvil, of which borough it forms a part. There are coal and iron-mines near the town, which is the terminus of the Taff Vale and Aberdare Railway, and also a Telegraph Station. Its canal is connected with the Glamorganshire or Cardiff canal. It possesses four handsome churches, several Chapels for nonconformists, a bank belonging to the West of England and South Wales Banking Company, and a public park called the “People’s Park.” Mar. .D. Wed. and Sat. Pop. of parish, 32,299

Source: Beeton’s British Gazetteer 1870. Ward, Lock & Tyler, Paternoster Row, London.

Aberdare Glamorgan – The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

ABERDARE, a parish in the hund. of Miskin, Merthyr-Tydvil union, Glamorganshire; 4 miles south-west from Merthyr-Tydvil, 21 south from Brecknock, and 179 from London. It includes the hamlets of Cefnpennar, Cwndare, Forehaman, and Llwydcod. Living, a perpetual curacy in the archd. and dio. of Llandaff, valued in the parliamentary returns at £89 per annum; gross income £184. Patron, the vicar of Llantrissant. A Baptist church was formed here in 1810, and an Independent church in 1837. There are also two National schools. Pop. in 1801, 1,486; in 1831, 3,961. Houses 809. The increase of population is attributed to the enlargement of the extensive iron works in this parish, which employ upwards of 500 men, and were in a very flourishing condition a few years since. Continue reading “Aberdare Glamorgan – The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840”

Aberdare Glamorgan – A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales 1811

ABER DÂR, in the Cwmwd of Meisgyn, Cantref of Penythen (now called the Hundred of Miskin), Co. of Glamorgan, South Wales: a Curacy, not in charge, to the V. of Llan Trisaint: Patron, The Vicar of Llan Trisaint: Church ded. to St. John the Baptist. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 1486. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £436 12 7½, at 13s. 11¼d. in the pound. It is 4 m. S.W. from Merthyr Tudfyl. The Fairs are holden on the 19th of April, Whitsun Monday, and 14th of November. This Parish contains about 2000 acres of cultivated land, and about 2000 acres which are uncultivated. Here are extensive Iron works, belonging to Messrs. Tappenton and Co., and Messrs. Scales and Co. Continue reading “Aberdare Glamorgan – A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales 1811”