Last updated on March 31st, 2017
Flintshire in North Wales, is bounded, North by the Irish Sea, North-East by the Dee, East by Cheshire, and South and South-West by Denbighshire. It is about 27 miles in length, and 10 in breadth; and is divided into five Hundreds — Coleshill, Maylor, Mold, Prestayn, and Rhyddlan. Rivers: the Dee, the Clwyd, the Alun, the Terrig, the Wheler, and the Elwy. It has four Market-Towns. It is in the Province of Canterbury, in the Dioceses of St. Asaph and Chester, and in the Northern Circuit. Population, 66,919
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Flintshire Towns, Villages & Parishes
Index of places in Flintshire. The place names used in this index are as in the original documents which, hopefully, will make it easier to match them with other records such as census and parish registers. The spellings of place names change over time, particularly it seems, in Wales.
Places in Flintshire categorised by parish.
Continue reading “The County of Flintshire”
Abenbury Fechan, in the Cwmwd of Maelor Saesneg, Cantref Uwch Nant (now called the Hundred of Maelor), Co. of Flint, North Wales; in the Parish of Wrexham. The Resident Population of this Township, in 1801, was 110. The Money raised by the Parish Rales, in 1803, was £22 10. 4, at 3s. in the pound.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.
Abenbury-Vechan, a township, in the parish and union of Wrexham, hundred of Maelor, county of Flint, North Wales. 3 ½ miles (N. N.W.) from Wrexham; containing 124 inhabitants. On the river Clywedog, which is here crossed by a bridge, there are some iron foundries. This township is assessed separately for the support of its poor, and is the only one of the parish in the county of Flint, all the others being in that of Denbigh.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis Third Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Abenbury-Fechan, a township in that part of the parish of Wrexham, which is in Flintshire. The post town is Wrexham. Pop. in 1801, 110; in 1831, 113. Houses 25. A. P. £472. Poor rates, in 1837, £44.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.